A question about my tap water test

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NascarPaul

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am having an ammonia problem with 2 new tanks.The ammonia is testing in both tanks at 8.0 ppm +.I am doing daily 25% water changes.I did a test of my tap water and here are the results.Ph 7.8 ammonia 1.5 ppm,nitrites .25 ppm Gh is normal.My question is could it be I am either not doing the ammonia test correctly?I am using the bottle and test tube method for testing.Should i buy a ammonia strip test just to compare the results?The fish in both tanks seem fine,fins are not laying down,and I don't see an issue of fish hanging at the top of the tank or hanging on the bottom of the tank,they are active.1 tank has an ich problem that is improving. Any advice on this weird ammonia test is appreciated.Thanks y'all for really helping accelerate my learning curve.

I would try a different test just to be sure, I'm not sure but I think clorimanes (sp) break down and give an ammonia reading when some declorinators are used.

Yes, there are some dechlorinators that will give you a false ammonia reading. Get two quantities of tap water, one treated with dechlorinator and one not, and test each for ammonia. If the treated one shows ammonia, then you know it is your dechlor.

Thank you for the advice.I am also having my brother coming over with his ammonia test.Just to get a broader sample.He just started a 135 gal.One more question if I may,I am using rid ick + to treat the ick problem.(If I had known the higher temp and salt method before I started the med treatment I would have done that.)The instructions stated that I must remove the carbon from my filter before i used it.What exactly does the charcoal in the filter do?How long should you go between filter changes?I am running a Aqua-Tech 5-15 in one tank (the one with the small ick problem)and a Whisper 5-15 in the other tank.Once again thank y'all,I used to have an aquarium years ago,now that I am older and hopefully wiser,though you cant tell by all the mistakes I have made in starting these tanks,I will be getting a 55 gal soon,and don't want to repeat the mistakes I made on these 2 tanks :)

I don't think you are making any mistakes! 10-gal tanks are more difficult to maintain because it is harder to control water quality the smaller the quantity of water. When you get your 55 you will find it easier, and more forgiving.

Carbon does remove medications from water, and it is useful to use when you are done treating with meds, to clear the water of medication. Many people do not generally use carbon in their filters at all, as it is generally not necessary. For your Whisper, you can re-use the floss sleeve for your filter cartridge, just rinsing it out in spent tank water every couple of weeks when it gets clogged, and it will maintain a colony of good bacteria for you, without the addition of carbon.

These tanks are relatively new so some ammonia is to be expected, as you are probably undergoing a cycle. You also have quite a few fish in each tank, so you will have to really watch the water for ammonia and nitrite. If you are using the Rid-Ich then you will do daily water changes in conjunction with your treatment, and I have used this medication successfully in the past.

Read up on the nitrogen cycle, if you have not already, as that will help a lot. Stay away from the dip-test type of water test strips, as they are not accurate.

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom