A quick cycle q&a.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GrkGumby12

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I started with tetra safe start, its been 10 days and ammonia has been kept in check as best i could. Havent let it go over 1 and i do large water changes quite often. This is a fish-in cycle and i just bought ammo-lock to detoxify the ammonia as best i could also. I also just bought seachem stability and am wondering if i should pour that into the water or if i should pour it right into my emperor 400 filter system to try helping the bacteria colonize on my filter media. Thanks for the advice people.

I don't know a lot about stability but I don't think it matters where it goes.

I just wanted to say that I wouldn't rely on the ammo lock to replace water changes. It's only a temp fix and wears off. Instead I'd recommend Seachems PRIME. It's actually a water conditioner and also has the added bonus of detoxifying ammo(for 24-48 hours) among a few other things. It just one great product that does a lot and could save you money in the long run. It's also more concentrated so you use less too.

Thanks but i wont stop the water changes, i just dont want the ammonia to affect them. But again would anyone pour it into the filter media area or into the water..? I assume it also makes no difference

I don't think it makes a diffference; those things are hit and miss at best but maybe you'll get lucky. What conditioner/dechlorinator are you using? Most of them should help detoxify ammonia and nitrite between water changes so no need for the ammo-lock stuff.

I started with tetra safe start, its been 10 days and ammonia has been kept in check as best i could. Havent let it go over 1 and i do large water changes quite often. This is a fish-in cycle and i just bought ammo-lock to detoxify the ammonia as best i could also. I also just bought seachem stability and am wondering if i should pour that into the water or if i should pour it right into my emperor 400 filter system to try helping the bacteria colonize on my filter media. Thanks for the advice people.

One thing I can tell you is that using ammo-lock will inhibit the effectiveness of Tetra Safe Start, per the manufacturer. The manufacturer also recommends against water changes during the two weeks after using Safe Start.

In regards to ammonia products, yes, they kill TSS. Any type, whether a
chloramines remover or detoxifier, etc, anything that says it locks up
ammonia or removes ammonia. Do not add TSS for 24 hours after using
such a product, and do not add such a product for at least 7 days after
using TSS. The bacteria is housed in a special stabilized solution of
ammonia, so if you remove/lock up the ammonia, you remove all of the
food the bacteria require to live.

Q & A With Tetra about Tetra SafeStart | 58116

I'm not personally advocating for or against the use of Safe Start here, and opinions definately differ. What I am saying is that *if* one decides on the Safe Start route there are certain manufacturer's recommendations one should be aware of.

Best!

Back
Top Bottom