A Turtle Tank? Ugh: Filtration Challenges, A cry for help, Consultations Needed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MarkPinPhx

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello everyone, or the few who kind souls who choose to entertain the freshman class of joinees to this forum. So here is my story:

5 or so years ago the boyfriend of my stepdaughter brought her home 2 little turtles from china town in NYC. Harmless enough right? Uh huh. Of course he (the boyfriend) has been replaced several times over so he is out of the picture. Lucky for him or he'd be a one man turtle-maintenance crew I can assure you. My stepdaughter gave up the turtles for adoption. ****, I didn't want them. The problem is that the oversight board governing the introduction of animals into my home (my wife) made it very clear that once brought into the home, no living non-human creature that is alive can ever be sent out of the house. Who knew? Trust me, a diversion to the Abercrombie store would have been a sure plan, and in hindsight a cheap one, to divert attention away from the well-intended turtle purchase that has had dramatic unintended consequences in MY LFE. Had I realized those little things (turtles not the kids) would require a PhD in water management I would have gladly paid $87 for the t-shirts I had denied out of some belief I was teaching some higher lesson. Let no good deed go unpunished - I was a turtle owner. (For life it seems). I appealed to the board and continue to do so but hope is not high. Not being one to shrug off my duties as an involuntary foster parent of the turtles I set to work. Tank, water, filters. I had fish when i was younger and then oscars in college so what could be so bad right? Check the Ph, take out the chlorine, position some rocks. Ok so I needed a heat lamp for the buggers to bask. No problem. Ok, so anyway, a few years into the 5 one turtle does the noble thing and passes away. Burial ceremonies were planned, a few kind words were uttered, bada bing, done.

One left. She's a healthy turtle. Now 5 or 6 inches long and getting bigger. 5 gallon tank when tiny went to 10 gallons a bit later. 10 became 35. Small filters became larger filters, which became a canister filter, which became a BIGGER canister filter, which became TWO big canister filters. Thousands of dollars to wind up where? Back to the beginning... now I want a 150 gallon tank with the mac-daddy filter set up. Holes driled in the bottom of the tank, three redundant filtration systems using mechanical and biological filters, UV light, pumps, gauges, valves, and anything else that can create a cleaner and less labor-intensive tank. Yes, that includes paying a monthly fee to a service provider.

Oh, and if there is a filtration, aquarium, consultant I am prepared to pay for professional help in getting this set up and working. Dinner, drinks, cigars, and 18 holes included over and above negotiated fees.

Help!!!!!

: )

I was searching around today for people having large turtle tanks to see examples of how they are set up and saw this so I thought I could help out. Right now I am setting up a 72x36x24 tanks w/ 15" of water for 2 turtles and some fish so I think I understand your problems with filtration. All of the stuff you thought you would have to add on is really unnecessary. I'll show you my plan and you can change it accordingly.

I already had 1 xp3 w/ a 200w inline heater so I am transferring that to the big tank. Ontop of that I am adding a xp4 w/ a 300w inline heater as well. If I didn't have anything to start it would be 2 xp4's and 2 300w heaters. Then the biggest thing you need is mechanical filtration. This is already accomplished by the pads in the filter. Add some rings or balls and carbon in the top and you are good to go. Put one filter on each side of the tank to get circulation and thats it. Do a water change every other week with a python and then clean one filter every 3 weeks and switch off so one is always running. Hope this helps

Back
Top Bottom