A way to dim the light on my tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TigerBarbs

Aquarium Advice Addict
Does anybody know of an easy way to dim the light in a tank? Or have any ideas. My light is super bright and it reflects on all the little particles a lot and makes the water look a little cloudy. I want to dim it just a little

You cant dim fluorescent lights. If you have incandescents, you can put a dimmer switch on it. You could put some window screen material or window tinting on the splash shield... i guess that would work. Filter floss will clear up the particles.

TigerBarbs said:
Does anybody know of an easy way to dim the light in a tank? Or have any ideas. My light is super bright and it reflects on all the little particles a lot and makes the water look a little cloudy. I want to dim it just a little

You could try floating plants to diffuse the light some. Just a thought

Oooohhhh okay I'll definitely try that then and is there a special kind you use? Or just any floss?

TigerBarbs said:
Oooohhhh okay I'll definitely try that then and is there a special kind you use? Or just any floss?

I got Fairfield polyfill from Michael's Arts and Craft store. Just make sure it isn't treated with chemicals. Flame retardent chemicals may not be good for the fish. The stuff works. 4 bucks for a bag that could last a year.

TigerBarbs said:
Could I use filter media too and just replace it eery month

Yes, the only thing you should.replace is the polyfill. Just rinse the sponge and bio rings in dechlorinated water. I replace my floss weekly. But you may be able to replace it monthly it earlier. Just check it in a week or if you notice a decrease in out put.

Back
Top Bottom