About to cycle tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pirateshake

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So i set up my 55gallon with Seachem black sand. I am glad i read enough articals from everyone about this stuff. I spend about 20 minutes on each bag, total of 4 rinsing them out and the tank is still a tiny bit cloudy. I hooked up my fluval 305, had some trouble with cutting the pipes and assembly but figured it out after getting upset... Now with the questions.

1.Do i or should i wait to start decorating until the tank has cycled?
I think i need more sand but no one around here has it in stock right now, is it okay if i add more later?
2.While the tank is cycling or even after.. Is it okay so add my second filter now?
3.Can i add plants before the cycling is over or will it kill them?
oh one more.. If i add snails, big snails, will they help with releasing the gas so i dont have to poke the sand with a stick and stir it up?
: ) thanks i cant wait to hear back from you all.
I will be putting links to the pics in my sig soon. either a online photo album or to my myspace.

1. You can start decorating now. The good bacteria builds on decorations as well as in the filter, so there's no reason not to start everything now. Black sand makes a gorgeous tank, so congratulations on your good taste.

It's okay to add sand later, but it is sometimes tricky. You will need to rinse a lot to avoid a sandstorm in a tank that already has fish in it. If you can find more sand before you add live fish (say, later in the fishless cycle), it will probably be easier for you.

2. Sure, add the second filter. Build the good bacteria wherever you can grow it.

3. You can add live plants now. They may actually speed the cycle.

Some snails just move on top of the substrate. Malaysian trumpet snails are great for actually burrowing and stirring the sand. I would still stir it yourself occasionally.

Congratulations on your new tank. Do post the pics!

If your doing a fishless cycle then you may Not want to add plants now and leave the lights off so you dont get green water.

I just set up a 55g myself with a fluval 304, Heres what I'm doing. I added some plants today and will let them get established for like 1month. I also added 1 male Endler's Livebearer that I had in my 10G tank. Then I will add a 1 fish at a time with like 2weeks inbetween(prob males from my 10G). This is a silent cycle since the plants and only a small bioload from a few small fish will cycle with virtually no issues. Then I will take the male endlers back out and put in my 10G when I get new fish for my 55G.

Either way is fine depending on what your comfortable with.

I think i will go with the silent cycle.. So im going to start looking for plants online tonight. All the LFS around here carry ugly plants, imo.
Another thing. There isnt much of a current in my tank, would power heads be okay to add to add to a current? I am putting the goldies and corys from my 29gallon into this one onces its ready.
And what types of plants if any do goldfish generally tend not to snack on?

If your doing a fishless cycle then you may Not want to add plants now and leave the lights off so you dont get green water.

I just set up a 55g myself with a fluval 304, Heres what I'm doing. I added some plants today and will let them get established for like 1month. I also added 1 male Endler's Livebearer that I had in my 10G tank. Then I will add a 1 fish at a time with like 2weeks inbetween(prob males from my 10G). This is a silent cycle since the plants and only a small bioload from a few small fish will cycle with virtually no issues. Then I will take the male endlers back out and put in my 10G when I get new fish for my 55G.

Either way is fine depending on what your comfortable with.

This is what I am going to do with my 29g tank also! I am waiting on the rest of my plants and driftwood though! I'm waiting to see some new growth on my plants before I put in any fish though. I just now got my new lighting fixture in (btw, thanks for the help with that Matt!!). And, I got my Flourish root tabs in yesterday so that should help the plants a great deal!

I'd check out the Classifieds and Barter/Trade forums as members often have their plant trimming available. If you want to buy specific plants, check out Lowcoaster (Charley) on Aquabid. I've ordered from him several times and his portions are always generous. You can get an email with his current stock list instead of bidding on the auctions.

Make sure that if going the Silent Cycle route, you get some fast growing stem plants and/or floating plants. These don't have to be the plants that you want to keep long term, but will help keep your aquarium balanced while it is getting established during the first few months. Rotala rotundifolia (often mislabeled Rotala indica), Ludwigia sp., Wisteria, and Water Lettuce are some excellant choices that come to mind off the top of my head.

Back
Top Bottom