about to get started.....a few questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ditchdoctor81

Aquarium Advice Regular
We are finally getting started buying stuff for the tank to get it started. The tank is a 100g measuring 60Lx16Wx24T. In our shopping cart at DrFosterSmith.com we have:

6 30lb bags of sand
Refractometer
Salt
400 watt heater
Digital thermometer
2 SEIO pump M 1100
OceanMaster test kit

We are getting a skimmer, but from what I have read I don’t think I will need it while the tank is cycling & will buy it in a few weeks. If I am wrong please let me know & I will go ahead & get one. I’m not 100% sure on what type we want. I want one that will work both as a hang on & in sump. We will be adding a sump eventually & don’t want to have to buy another skimmer. We already have a heater, PH, & thermometer for premixing salt water. I’m about to order 100lbs of base from marcorocks.com & get about 30lbs of LR from lfs. I should go ahead & cycle the tank before we get the LR to go in it right?

Here is what we are looking to put in it:

Ocellaris we would like 2 if it wouldn’t cause a problem
Flame angel
Mertensii Butterflyfish (orangetail butterflyfish)
Yellow Watchman Goby
Six line wrasse
Pajama cardinal
And a tang, either Blue, Powder Blue, or Yellow Tang

We aren’t dead set on those. They are just a few that we both liked. What do you all think? Are they too much for our tank?

What about a clean up crew? When would be a good time to put them in? Right after it cycles, or after I get a couple of fish in first? I’ve seen all the prepackaged clean up crews, do you all recommend them, or would I do better to just get them separately & introduce them in a few phases? What type of light would work for me? The only thing we are planning on getting (a year or so into it) is an anemone.

Sorry for the long post, we have been reading for the last couple of months & we are finally ready to get it started.

Thanks for the help!

Thanks, I've read that. That's where I got most of the info on what we are going to get already.

What about the fish we plan on putting in it? Do they sound ok? What I've read so far they should all be ok together.

What order should they go in?

The tang should be last. The blue and powder blue are ick magnets be advised. Hope you are not planning on corals as the butterfly and flame are notorious as coral nippers. As far as the fish the order wont make much difference except as I stated make the tang last.

Thanks

I'll be taking a lot of pics. I'm sure I'll have a few more questions after we get started.

I've use the OceanMaster Test Kit and it's OK but kind of pricey for only 20 tests. I ordered the new AP reef test two months ago since I've used AP test kits for over 10 years and am very happy with it.

You get tons of tests out of them but keep in mind you will still need a basic test kit for ph/nh3/no2 since the reef kit only covers no3/alk/po4/ca

Your fish list looks pretty good. The flame angel is hit or miss when it comes to corals though so you may want to rethink this fish. Adding the tang last as Mike recommended will be key.

Since it's such a large tank you also might want to consider a couple of Anthias Fish or Reef safe Wrasse

As far as HOB/SUMP skimmers go I personally like the 220 CSS Needle Wheel Protein Skimmer and the AquaC Remora PRO with Mag 3.

thanks tec

Everything but the base rock will be in on the 9th, it won't be in until the 13th. Would it hurt anything to get everything setup & started & then just put the base in while it's cycling, or should I wait on the base rock before I fill it & start the cycle?

We are going to set up a 30g as a quarantine tank. After we get our tank stocked with everything we want we are going to use the 30 as a reef tank. How should I set it up? What type of filter should I use while it's the quarantine tank & when should I start the cycle? I don't use any sand/cc in it from what I've read, so how should I set it up? Just use the PVC fittings?

I just want to get the quarantine tank up & started so when our big tank is cycled we can start a fish in the quarantine tank so we can start stocking the big one. And I want to do it right so we are going to be quarantining everything for 3 to 4 weeks before it goes in the main tank.

Thanks in advance....you all have been great help.

I would keep the 30 as a QT, you never know what will happen, especially with that tang or any other fish for that matter. I use basic mechanical filters on my QT tank, bare bottom with some mixed size pvc sections. GL and have fun.

thanks

so would it be a problem to start my cycle in the main tank when my rock won't be in unitl 4 or 5 days later? or should I just wait for it to all get here & start it?

Personally, I'd just wait. In the big picture, 4 or 5 days isn't going to make a difference. I'm assuming the sand would be in the tank, so you would have a place for the bacteria to call home if you did start the cycle. But waiting gives you good time to practice your patience!

Kurt_Nelson said:
waiting gives you good time to practice your patience!
:D You will need this more then just about anything else for a successful SW tank. SW tanks need lots of time to develop correctly but can crash in a instant if you do something haphazardly.

Back
Top Bottom