About to place order on Amazon, am I missing anything?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sgtdap

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi,

I am starting my first tank which is a 35g (36x20x12in). I have an API Master kit, Jager 125w Heater, SeaChem Prime, Aqueon siphon and water changer, and All Glass Aquarium canopy to cover the tank (I have the basic flourescent still from the previous owner) in my Amazon cart. I already purchased a AquaClear70 filter (petsmart matched petco's price which was cheaper than Amazon right now!). Am I missing anything that I will need to start my tank cycle? I am off on Friday and will be starting all this then.

Thanks for the advice!

EDIT:
Forgot to mention I am going to purchase play sand from Home Depot and use that as my substrate!

Last edited:
Sounds pretty complete. Maybe a variety of fish foods. I guess that might depend on your stocking list. Maybe a thermometer?
I'm sure something will pop into your head AFTER you hit the SUBMIT button.

Don't use play sand! Use pool filter sand. You might want a bubble wand, air pump, fish food, pure ammonia (for fishless cycling), and a stand.

Cycling 45 Gallon. ???

Maybe some water conditioner if you don't have any... Or if you plan on keeping plants in your aquarium maybe a cheap t-5 ho fixture that could grow most plants. And maybe some filter media to keep spare.

Maybe some water conditioner if you don't have any... Or if you plan on keeping plants in your aquarium maybe a cheap t-5 ho fixture that could grow most plants. And maybe some filter media to keep spare.

He says he has seachem prime x)

Cycling 45 Gallon. ???

The tank came with a stand as well but they used it for lizards so I haven't tested the weight and I don't want to trust it on my carpet. I filled the tank tonight to make sure it doesn't have leaks and I will drain it on Friday with the siphon so I can add the pool filter sand I just ordered from Ace (thanks!)

I am having trouble finding straight ammonia for the tank for a Fishless cycle. Unfortunately I already hit submit (doh!) so I can't add it to the order to be included as an Amazon add on. I didn't see any on Petsmart or Petco's website :(

I am going to try to do an Asian themed aquarium and have Asian inspired fish (still researching this part) but I figure I have about a month until the tank is fully cycled to start putting fish in it.

It did previously have a 10-12" lizard in it. The tank survived the night with water in it and I have not noticed any leaks. We have a "butler's pantry" which is basically a kick off our kitchen with an older cabinet they saved when the kitchen was remodeled by the old home owner. I have the tank sitting on it and it it is holding the weight perfectly!

Due to the tank's dimensions (36Lx20Hx12W) I was assuming it would fit fish better than another lizard. Terrariums I have seen have all been "deeper" depth wise so reptiles had more room to stretch out.

I will add a good bleaching to the list for Friday after I drain the tank. Any suggestions on the concentration to use? Will I need to use extra prime after rinsing to ensure all chlorine is gone? I purchased a 16oz (500ml) bottle of prime to get me started. It was larger than the ones from the LFS and about the same price so I figured it would last me a long time doing PWC. Also, one other question I had about PWC, I read somewhere to clean the tank and remove the amount of water you are wanting, add enough Prime to dechlorinate the whole tank capacity, then add your new water. Is that too much Prime? Can you over do it?

Thanks again for the heads up on the bleach!

When you pick up ur playsand at ace, get ammonia too. They have pure amonia for about $3.

When you pick up ur playsand at ace, get ammonia too. They have pure amonia for about $3.

Since the pure ammonia will not have tank directions and I imagine it will be in higher concentration than the fishless cycle stuff, do you have any recommendation for how much to use?

Im cycling a 55 right now and 3ml got me to 4ppm. I did a bunch of research and it seemed like i should have needed more, but i guess the test kit doesnt lie. It doesnt have to be exact, just get it semi close. I think the ace brand is 10% concentrate. Try like 2ml and then test a half hour later.

I have used play sand in my aquarium and I like it. You just have to make sure to rinse it really really well! It might still cloud up your water even after you feel like you rinsed it forever, but after a few days and a couple water changes it will clear up :) good luck with your new tank, sounds exciting!

It did previously have a 10-12" lizard in it. The tank survived the night with water in it and I have not noticed any leaks. We have a "butler's pantry" which is basically a kick off our kitchen with an older cabinet they saved when the kitchen was remodeled by the old home owner. I have the tank sitting on it and it it is holding the weight perfectly!

Due to the tank's dimensions (36Lx20Hx12W) I was assuming it would fit fish better than another lizard. Terrariums I have seen have all been "deeper" depth wise so reptiles had more room to stretch out.

I will add a good bleaching to the list for Friday after I drain the tank. Any suggestions on the concentration to use? Will I need to use extra prime after rinsing to ensure all chlorine is gone? I purchased a 16oz (500ml) bottle of prime to get me started. It was larger than the ones from the LFS and about the same price so I figured it would last me a long time doing PWC. Also, one other question I had about PWC, I read somewhere to clean the tank and remove the amount of water you are wanting, add enough Prime to dechlorinate the whole tank capacity, then add your new water. Is that too much Prime? Can you over do it?

Thanks again for the heads up on the bleach!

Oh, you're going for an Asian theme too?! I was, and then I gave up lol, too much aggression for me. However, let me see if I can find a link to that thread. Luaneko helped me tons with it! Lots of great info on there too! ^_^

Cycling 45 Gallon. ???

Back
Top Bottom