Above ground ponds

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

starbear

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have three small goldfish, it was brought to my attention that they need a much larger set up. I would love any detailed information about how to set up a pond, hopefully something like converting a horse trough(sp). We live in nc the weather is normally mild, ocational snow in december. What is neccisary? anything to worry about? Im hoping to start the set up asap so my dughters fish dont die in the small tank the pet store sold us

Sent from my SCH-I415 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Im interested as well. I saw a drain pkug heater for 300 gallon rubbermaid stick tank and its 1500 watts! Thats alot to run all day everyday for winter.

Using a trough is pretty straight forward and can be easily setup. Just make sure its somewhere that's not in the sun all day (shade will keep the temps more consistent) and that you have plans for predator protection and possible freezing temps.

Filtration can be something simple such as a floating pond filter (@$100 at Home Depot, etc). These filters typically have UV feature and a small waterfall option to keep the surface agitated for oxygen. Or, you can consider something a bit more complex such as a bog filter that utilizes plants as the filtration system (check out this thread: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f135/ryukins-in-the-backyard-pond-257101.html). Middle range would purchasing a pond pump and making a filtration system or purchasing a pond filter that sits independent of the pond.

Pond plants, especially floating types such as water lettuce or semi-floating plants such as parrots feather, are easy to add and require little maintenance.

For the winter, a stock heater is not necessary as these are intended to heat the entire tank to keep it from freezing. A simple de-icer would be more than sufficient to keep a section open and unfrozen.

Predators can be avoided with a simple net over the top. Pond nets can be purchased for under $20 on ebay or amazon and for something this size, they would likely cost under $10.

Please ask any questions!! :)

Can u give me a link to the diffrences in the kinds of filters? What would the weekly maintenance be? And are there good online sources for plants that arent expensive? We used to have horses and my parents would put goldfish and plecostomus fish to keep down alge and bugs, are plecos sugested for ponds?

Sent from my SCH-I415 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom