Absorbtion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MagicAfra

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Quick question, do aquarium plants primarily take in CO2 through their leaves or through their roots?
Also does the Seachem Flourish Excel form of carbon follow the same method?
I am aware that terrestrial plants facilitate gas exchange through both leaves and roots but am unsure about the efficiency of either of these in aquatic plants.
What does this mean for sediment and water flow where the roots are involved?
Thanks

CO2 is taken in primarily by the leaves of plants. And yes, the glutaraldehyde supplements (like excel) are absorbed through the stomata of plant leaves.

A lot of folks like to use substrate heaters to create convection and thus water flow through the substrate in planted tanks. I have read a lot about it though I have never personally tried it. From everything I have read, there really isn't much conclusive evidence out there to show that substrate heating has any positive or negative effects on plant health. I remember 1 experiment in particular that took 2 identical tanks over 2 or 3 years, one with substrate heat, one without, and the growth and health in the tank looked almost identical.

During the day time plants take up CO2.
At night they respire CO2.
All through the leaves.
That's why people limit CO2 at night.
The roots always need oxygen.

Back
Top Bottom