AC filter swap

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

James_in_MN

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So I decided to swap my Aqeon Quietflow filters for AquaClears. I just picked up the AquaClears today, and will be switching them in over the next day or so.

20g high tank
Aqueon Quietflow 30 (200gph)
Marineland Duetto 100 (92gph)

10g tank
Aqueon Quietflow 10 (100gph)
Tom Aquarium mini internal filter (45gph)

Even though both of my tanks have two filters running, I'll still (obviously) be using some of the filter media from the Quietflow to seed my new AquaClears. I've attached a picture from above my Quietflow 10, where you can see the Fluval Chi foam pad that I wedged between the bio-holster of the filter and the outflow back into the tank. Could/should I use that, or should I rip off a portion of the filter media and use it instead? Or both?

If I were to guess, I'd put the seeding material on the bottom of the AquaClear filter basket before the foam pad. Correct?

Since there will be no carbon insert, I was thinking about buying a box of Biomax and adding more to the mesh bag. Is there something else I should think about doing instead?

Anything I missed?

Attachments

• P1010773.jpg
    P1010773.jpg
    191.5 KB · Views: 117
The aquaclear filters do in fact have carbon. It's in the middle layer of the media basket. I have an ac30 on my 10 gallon. You have to replace the carbon every month.

The aquaclear filters do in fact have carbon. It's in the middle layer of the media basket. I have an ac30 on my 10 gallon. You have to replace the carbon every month.

Many here suggest that unless trying to get rid of medication, you should not use the carbon insert. I would use as much of the old media folded to take the place of the carbon sack.

Other than the carbon that's built into the Quietflow filter media, I don't have any carbon at all in my tanks. It's only good for removing things like medication from your tank, really. Since I add liquid ferts to both of my tanks, it's actually better to avoid adding carbon at all, since it will remove those as well.

Good move to a great filter IMO/E (y).

I'd leave the other filters running and just let them seed the new filters. Adding more bio-media doesn't mean you'll have more bacteria, a system will only support so much and I'd suggest using poly-fil between the sponge and bio-media bag. The poly-fil is excellent fine filtration media and can just be tossed and replaced when it gets clogged. The sponge can be washed/reused till it falls apart and bio-media just rinsed in tank water as they never wear out. I'd also suggest you not use any carbon unless you're removing meds.

James_in_MN said:
So I decided to swap my Aqeon Quietflow filters for AquaClears. I just picked up the AquaClears today, and will be switching them in over the next day or so.

20g high tank
Aqueon Quietflow 30 (200gph)
Marineland Duetto 100 (92gph)

10g tank
Aqueon Quietflow 10 (100gph)
Tom Aquarium mini internal filter (45gph)

Even though both of my tanks have two filters running, I'll still (obviously) be using some of the filter media from the Quietflow to seed my new AquaClears. I've attached a picture from above my Quietflow 10, where you can see the Fluval Chi foam pad that I wedged between the bio-holster of the filter and the outflow back into the tank. Could/should I use that, or should I rip off a portion of the filter media and use it instead? Or both?

If I were to guess, I'd put the seeding material on the bottom of the AquaClear filter basket before the foam pad. Correct?

Since there will be no carbon insert, I was thinking about buying a box of Biomax and adding more to the mesh bag. Is there something else I should think about doing instead?

Anything I missed?

This looks good, but if possible I will use both, meaning I think that you can also rip the Aquaeon filter white stuff, and stock, it in some way, into the AquaClear chamber for another period of time.

maxwellag said:
Well isn't the carbon for chemical filtration though?

Nope, it's more a water polisher and to remove meds/etc. Poly-fil polishes water and a bag of it is about $1 more than the carbon pack and enough for a year on my 4 tanks. If you leave carbon in too long it can foul your water.

Save your money and stop using carbon. It isn't necessary. If you want you can add a second sponge insert, which will increase both mechanical and biological filtration.

Aspencer said:
Many here suggest that unless trying to get rid of medication, you should not use the carbon insert. I would use as much of the old media folded to take the place of the carbon sack.

I actually like this idea the best. That puts it before the Biomax in the water flow, and should help colonize it.

I decided to do only one tank at a time, wait until I know it's stabilized with no mini-cycle, then do the other tank. Since the 10g has a much smaller bio-load, it will be first. I swapped out the Quietflow 10 on it for an AquaClear 20 last night.

I'm flattened by how quiet the AquaClear is. I would have never complained about the noise level of the Quietflow filter, but the AC makes it sound like a jackhammer! :lol:

I may post a picture of the Quietflow filter media cut open from my 20g when I replace it. There really isn't all that much filter media on those cartridges.

So far, no issues with my 10g after the change. My ammonia / nitrIte / nitrAte test prior to the water change today was 0 / 0 / 20. This doesn't surprise me since I seeded the AquaClear with some filter media from the Quietflow and have another filter running on the tank.

I'll swap out the Quietflow 30 on my 20g tank for the AquaClear 50 tomorrow. That tank also has another filter running, so seeding the AquaClear with filter material from the Quietflow should hopefully avoid a mini-cycle.

I can't help but speculate on what change I may see in my bio-filtration. The Quietflow filter really is kind of weak when it comes to mechanical filtration, and likely isn't all that great for growing bacteria in either (pictures of the cut up filter media forthcoming). Fortunately, I added the Fluval Chi foam pad to help increase camping ground for bacteria in the filter (pic at the beginning of the thread).

I have been having a bit more difficulty keeping the nitrAte levels down in my 20g tank. Granted, I'm near the max stock-wise, but I don't think I should be seeing as much of an increase of nitrAtes as I am with regular water changes. The API test has consistently approached near 40ppm every time I test prior to changing the water, forcing me to do more than one water change a week.

Back
Top Bottom