Accidentally overfed yesterday

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

callylynn

Aquarium Advice Activist
I overfed my fish yesterday while trying to get my ADFs to see the food. I checked my levels today and they were all pretty high.
Ammonia 1 ppm
Nitrite 5 ppm
Nitrate 10 ppm

I did a 50% pwc and tested again

Ammonia .25
Nitrite .25
Nitrate between 0 and 5

So after testing again I vacuumed out more waste and probably changed about 40% more.

Our the levels due to over feeding? Or is my cycle thrown off now? I will test the water again in a little while to make sure everything is okay. All of my fish and my ADFs seem to be fine thankfully!

I overfed my fish yesterday while trying to get my ADFs to see the food. I checked my levels today and they were all pretty high.
Ammonia 1 ppm
Nitrite 5 ppm
Nitrate 10 ppm

Ammonia .25
Nitrite .25
Nitrate between 0 and 5

So after testing again I vacuumed out more waste and probably changed about 40% more.

Our the levels due to over feeding? Or is my cycle thrown off now? I will test the water again in a little while to make sure everything is okay. All of my fish and my ADFs seem to be fine thankfully!

Seems your cycle has an issue.... sorry

Your Tank

Ammonia 1 ppm
Nitrite 5 ppm
Nitrate 10 ppm

Ammonia .25
Nitrite .25
Nitrate between 0 and 5

Hello Cal...

Most water keepers feed too much. Your aquarium inhabitants don't get much food in their natural living areas. They're fortunate to eat once or twice a week. So, we should all take nature's example and not feed too often. A little variety fed a couple of times a week is enough. The time between feeding is for foraging around the tank to clean up leftovers. The tank stays much cleaner.

The vast majority of tank problems are the result of less than pure water conditions. If you focus on keeping the water clean, everything in it will be healthier. Large, weekly water changes are best. Change half the tank water weekly, no slacking and your tank water will be stable for everything living in it.

B

I do at least 50% water changes once a week if, sometimes twice. I will definitely cut back on the feeding. I just wanted to make sure my ADFs which are new to the tank were fed yesterday. Thanks for your response

I do at least 50% water changes once a week if, sometimes twice. I will definitely cut back on the feeding. I just wanted to make sure my ADFs which are new to the tank were fed yesterday. Thanks for your response

I don't think your tank is cycled. I'd look up fish in cycling

Well I cycled my tank using seeded media from my other tank. I just tested that tank and the levels read
Nitrites 0
Nitrates between 10-20
Ammonia 0

I took the filter off that tank and I am running it on the other for a while. Will that help? And how long can my other tank be safe without its filter? It has an air pump hooked up to it and they haven't been fed today

Or should I just swish the media in the 20 g and move the filter back to my 10g?

I'm not sure what the best route is to take but I don't want to out my other tank in jeopardy so I moved the filter back to my 10 gallon. I took about 4 gallons of water out of my ten gallon and added it to my 20. Will that help? I don't want to lose any of my little water babies. I wouldn't have put them in there if I thought this was going to happen :(

The bacteria in your filter are sessile (attached to a surface) so there's not much if any in floating the water. Do you have an excess of filter media? If so, you could get a small, cheap filter and split it between the two. I did this for a 10g planted quarantine not long ago.

If you're worried about ammonia and nitrites, you can use Prime in larger dosages to help. I believe the instructions are on the bottle.

Another short term solution is to find a bunch of plants like hornwort, anacharis or watersprite that are fast growing to eat up the bad stuff, but that requires a bit of lighting that you might not have.

Back
Top Bottom