acclimation of cleaner shrimp!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zach119

Aquarium Advice Activist
i just acclimated my skunk cleaner shrimp for 2 hours and when i went to get him out with the cup i was gonna use he looked dead but when i put him in my tank he livened right up will he be ok ??? and also what do i feed him is my lr.com keys rock enough to feed him for a while my tank just got done cycling about a week ago so there is alot to eat on the rock will that feed him for a lil while and what do i feed him when my rocks are whiped clean?

There is no way to guarantee he'll be ok. But, if he's active, that's a good sign. He will eat when you feed the tank. Flakes, any frozen foods, raw foods, cyclops, they are not picky at all.

ok well i have no fish so im not feeding the tank yet but i do have some frozen shrimp that youd by from the supermarket that are already cooked will that work till tomorrow when i can stop and get something from the fish store?

I wouldn't bother feeding it personally. It will pick off the rocks til you can get something.

thanx what do you recommend ? for feeding that is when i got it today i was under the impression he was a algea eater and rock feeder i did not know he fed off the left over food from feeding the fish or i would have not got him yet but ohh well ill just pick up something to feed him thanks alot fluff!

Flakes are fine. I have a tank with just two cleaners in it and I alternate thier foods between Omega One flakes and freeze dried cyclop-eese.

ok one more question of the subject cuz i dont want to clog up the forum my calcium is 315 what do i do i have the seatest kit and it is 3 steps first i add an eydroper with a certain amount then the little foil dry powder then i drip reagent 3 in till the water turns blue and i must multiply by 15 so it took 21 drops so im at 315 whqt do you guys recommend to boost that up because i have turbo snails and a few others and i want them to be able to build there shells up?

Your calcium level is fine for your snails. I have Instant Ocean which mixes pretty low for calcium. I stopped dosing calcium because 1, I don't have anything that really hordes calcium 2, I wanted corraline but I decided to let nature take its corse and 3, I got a skimmer and I've been having a little trouble with overflow so I didn't want to make my situation worse.

Snails don't need as much calcium as some corals would need. I think my calcium is between 300-350 but I can see my astrea snails growing thier outer shell right now- its looks looks pale white flesh.

But if you really want calcium, you could build a gravity fed auto-drip system to drip kalk. Or you can get Turbo calcium from Kent. I think Seachem makes comparable products but I don't remember the name off the top of my head.

It all depends on what your going to have in your tank. If you want corals then you need to bring the ca up to 400-450 and you need to test your alkalinity also and that should be up to 9-11 on the salifert test kits.
I use B-ionic 2 part addidtive for ca and alk and it works great. Remember what ever you use to raise it up slowly.

Back
Top Bottom