Aclimating new hermit crabs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hermieguy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just bought a new hermit crab from petsmart, and its in an isolation tank as i speak. But, the hermit crab is pretty small compared to my others. Should I isolate it till it molts, or just acclimate and put it in?

Because you are posting in freshwater and said you got this crab at petsmart, I am thinking you got a terrestrial hermit crab. You aren't planning on putting this crab in a tank of water, are you? Because those hermit crabs they sell at pet smart live on land and will drown if you put them in an aquarium. There are aquatic hermit crabs, but the only ones I've ever seen for sale are marine hermit crabs that live in saltwater tanks. Can you post a picture of this crab?

Or are you trying to figure out the best way to add it to an existing population of terrestrial crabs? In that case I'm not really sure, I kept hermits occasionally as a kid but I never really got the hang of it. They didn't last long, because I didn't really know what I was doing.

It is a land crab. But he is a lot smaller than my others. I just need to know if i need to isolate him till he is as big as the others.

It is a land crab. But he is a lot smaller than my others. I just need to know if i need to isolate him till he is as big as the others.

It might be a good idea to give him some time to catch up. Besides, keeping him isolated for a while will keep him from possibly spreading any kind of disease into your tank. Quarantining new specimens of any kind of animal is always a good idea before you add them in with your current animals.

But i really want to get him in my tank soon, so, how long do you think i should let him acclimate

But i really want to get him in my tank soon, so, how long do you think i should let him acclimate

I would give him at least a week or so on his own to make sure he isn't sick. What are you keeping him in for now?

Back
Top Bottom