Acquired 55g tank - Help Requested (Urgent?)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chriznat20

Aquarium Advice Freak
Acquired 75g tank - Help Requested (Urgent?)

Recently was given a 75g FW tank from a family member, who bought a house and the sellers left it. Its been ~10 years since I've had a FW tank (long time member here though!) and Im a little rusty. (if the tank looks turbulent, I had JUST completed the water change and things were stirred up a bit). Fortunately, it has a canister filter that I quickly learned how it worked, made a water change a SNAP!! :)

https://ibb.co/CvDvdPB

Cascade 1000 Canister, which I am SURE needs maintenance, based on the condition of the rest of the tank!
https://ibb.co/txNqmHq

The tank came with 4 fish - 1 large Silver Dollar, 1 Angel Fish, and 2 ?? I think they are Cichlids. I cant tell. Can someone identify these?

https://ibb.co/CbPx5M6

https://ibb.co/F51dny4
So, the past owners left a small bottle of Tetra Goldfish flakes that look to be from 1987, lol. I went and bought floating cichlid pellets, large tropical flakes, and some other kind of cichlid flakes. They gobbled it right up.

I also performed a 50% water change, with stress-coat. There was a lot of algae on the plexiglass lids, and I know that is indicative of water quality sometimes.

Oh! I almost forgot. The tank has NO heater :eek: I have to imagine it should. It does have a temperature gauge and its between 68 and 70F degrees. Isn't that way too cool for those type of fish??

Last edited:
Lovely tank! I do know that Angelfish like warmer water. I think the cichlids can handle cooler water than the angel but I would def get a heater in there.

Lots of algae can also mean the ligh might have been left in 24/7 which is NOT good. In order to slow algae do water changes and lessen light hours in day.

Definitely get a heater.

Silver dollars need to school so either return that or get more to make him/her happy.

Although a 55 is pretty small for multiple silver dollars it can be done.

The filter I am unfamiliar with although do Not throw out the filter media when you clean the filter out.

Lovely tank! I do know that Angelfish like warmer water. I think the cichlids can handle cooler water than the angel but I would def get a heater in there.

Hannah - is that what those are?? I posted pics, because I wasnt sure. lol. Are they cichlids?

Lots of algae can also mean the ligh might have been left in 24/7 which is NOT good. In order to slow algae do water changes and lessen light hours in day.

Definitely get a heater.

Silver dollars need to school so either return that or get more to make him/her happy.

Although a 55 is pretty small for multiple silver dollars it can be done.

The filter I am unfamiliar with although do Not throw out the filter media when you clean the filter out.

And your comment was the catalyst that caused me to get off the couch, go to the house and measure the tank with a tape measure. It is actually 75 gallons, not 55. I knew it looked a little bigger than my old 55....

Im ordering a heater right now :cool: and I went and turned off the lights (some kind of new fangled Fluvall LED light bar with a remote control?! I will have to download the manual and read up on it, the remote has like a million buttons)

Almost forgot! Welcome back to AA! :)
THANKS!! Feels good to be back :flowers:

I am by no means a cichlid expert- but those definitely look like cichlids to me. As to what flavor they are- no idea. I know there's a ton of species. You could post in the "cichlids discussion" to try and get a more solid identification. Or maybe somebody will come along here and help you out! Sorry I couldn't give you more.

*prerty sure* thats a "Pink Kisser" & a "Convict" - don't ask me their Latin names, it's been 20 years+ since I kept them.

Thank you everyone!!

After changing 50% of the water yesterday, the fish are SO much happier today. I didn't test the water parameters, but trust me... I am positive they were bad.

I went and bought a submersible heater today, seeing that there is absolutely nothing in there and it hovers around 68F. I researched and came up with an average temperature (76F) to satisfy the 4 inhabitants. Seems that cichlids like 74-82, silver dollars 76-80, and angelfish 76-84. I will put the heater in, calibrate it, and turn it up 2 degrees every 48 hours, until reaching 76F or so.

Just curious - does anybody have any advice on how to clean or change the media on a Penn Plan Cascade 1000 Canister?

For cleaning the filter. If it's a sponge or ceramic/stone or bio balls, rinse and abuse in a bucket of tank water. Any floss or bags of dust or crushed black carbon, throw out. I'd rehome that silver dollar unless you are fond, it's a major bioload and would be far better suited with other silver dollars.

Back
Top Bottom