Acrylic or Glass?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jack22

Aquarium Advice Regular
Looking at buying a new glass 150 gallon or a used 180 gallon acrylic that has been sitting empty in someone's basement for 2 years. I don't know much about the pros and cons of acrylic I've always had glass tanks and I'm always worried about buying used tanks. If the acrylic is damaged is it expensive to repair? I really appreciate any help.

Im pretty sure that arylic doesn't leak at all or way less often than glass. Don't know much Pros/cons

Acrylic is 90% clear, glass is 70% clear, but acrylic scratches easier than glass, I like acrylic better though

Other than looking for scratches how do I check to see if its in good condition? Do I need to check the seals? What do I look for?

Ive never bought a used acrylic aquarium. Honestly I prefer glass over acrylic because I have heard they scratch easy. But if it was between a larger acrylic vs a smaller glass I would go with acrylic. But I am guessing you just make sure theres no cracks and looks to be in good condition. Acrylic tanks the sides are "welded" together (for lack of a better term) so it is one big piece, with no seals on the sides or bottom.

Ive never bought a used acrylic aquarium. Honestly I prefer glass over acrylic because I have heard they scratch easy. But if it was between a larger acrylic vs a smaller glass I would go with acrylic. But I am guessing you just make sure theres no cracks and looks to be in good condition. Acrylic tanks the sides are "welded" together (for lack of a better term) so it is one big piece, with no seals on the sides or bottom.

They're glued with acrylic glue

Thanks for all the info. Can cracks in acrylic be repaired or filled? Is it expensive?

Acrylic is generally a lot more expensive than glass but if you can get the used one for a decent price, I would not hesitate to pull the trigger on the acrylic.

Im pretty sure you can buy the acrylic glue at a hardware store and that can be used to fix cracks. Some scratches can be buffed out but you have to be careful to not buff too much acrylic.

Back
Top Bottom