Acrylic vs glass?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lexiesboots

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi everyone!

I am thinking of getting a new tank eventually. Long story short my 40 gallon breeder is bowing slightly and it's freaking me out. I was looking into tanks and have been reading that acrylic tanks are 17 times stronger and about 50 percent lighter. This is a huge plus for me since I so terrified of my tank shattering and I am a pretty small person so having a lighter tank will make moving it easier on me. So I was wondering if anyone has any input on their preferences and why. I am looking into the sea clear 50 gallon to upgrade to. I have a steal stand with some plywood in between my tank and the stand already and the dimensions of the tank will fit. This tank would be for my goldfish (I currently have 3 babies but am looking to add one more) and I would plan on keeping a bare bottom tank since they are so messy.

Thanks!

It will still be heavy, lighter than glass but still heavy.

Acrylic is very easy to scratch and you will need new cleaning tools as the ones made for glass will scratch it.

The only problem I've ever had with my little 1g acrylic tank was that it got scratched up pretty bad over the year I've had it. Even little things like siphoning rocks and having them fall into the side of the tank would scratch it. I don't know if that would be as big of a problem with a huge acrylic tank, but I think it would be since they're all made from acrylic.

Just my $.02.

It will still be heavy, lighter than glass but still heavy.

Acrylic is very easy to scratch and you will need new cleaning tools as the ones made for glass will scratch it.

Is it a little but stronger though? I am still very paranoid about my 40 gallon bursting :/

Well it will be bottomless so no gravel or rocks just some potted plants. I am not too concerned about it getting scratched as it will be in my bedroom in a corner.

The only problem I've ever had with my little 1g acrylic tank was that it got scratched up pretty bad over the year I've had it. Even little things like siphoning rocks and having them fall into the side of the tank would scratch it. I don't know if that would be as big of a problem with a huge acrylic tank, but I think it would be since they're all made from acrylic.

Just my $.02.

Would you say that your tank seems sturdier though? That's my main concern is the tank I have busting open and shattering

Would you say that your tank seems sturdier though? That's my main concern is the tank I have busting open and shattering

While I never thought the acrylic tank would burst because it was so tiny, my glass tanks always have seemed more sturdy to me. I have a 2.5g and a 5.5g, both glass.

If you're that worried about, take it outside or in your garage or something and fill it up. Let it sit for a week or so, and if you don't see any any bowing or any other problems, you're pretty good. Empty it out, move it to where you're going to put it and then fill it back up again.

While I never thought the acrylic tank would burst because it was so tiny, my glass tanks always have seemed more sturdy to me. I have a 2.5g and a 5.5g, both glass.

If you're that worried about, take it outside or in your garage or something and fill it up. Let it sit for a week or so, and if you don't see any any bowing or any other problems, you're pretty good. Empty it out, move it to where you're going to put it and then fill it back up again.

I did this with my 40 gallon breeder and it was bowing and had some bubbles in the seams. It was glass and it just freaked me out so much because I kept I visioning it shattering all over the place. Plus the thing was so heavy!

Glass DOES flex ... just because it's bowing a little doesn't mean it's going to break.

Larger aquariums are made of much harder acrylic than the little 1g tank mentioned earlier (look up cast acrylic vs. extruded acrylic). They're still much easier to scratch than glass, but a 40g acrylic tank is made of much harder acrylic than the 1-5g tanks.

Acrylic tanks also have no seams... the sheets are "melted" together at assembly (but chemically... not with heat), not glued together like glass, so there are no seams to develop leaks over time.

I prefer acrylic myself, but my kids are old enough to not touch the glass, and there are no cats or dogs to scratch at it... If such things are a concern in your home, then glass may be a better option just for it's scratch-resistance.

I wouldn't worry, except be careful about acrylic scratching, I had one that got it pretty bad when I had two twin two year olds come scratching to get at my " pwetty fishies, ooh fwoggy! Where is it toungue?" Lol

I'm not worried about the scratching. My cat is pretty much over the fish at this point and the tank is in my room in a corner so no foot traffic to worry about. After all my research I'm leaning more towards an acrylic tank. The glass ones I have had before are okay except the 40 gallon that is currently empty waiting to be replaced

Back
Top Bottom