ADA Aqua soil + Eco-Complete?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jackson1

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Can I mix Eco-Complete and ADA Aqua soil together?
I heard it was best to buy ADA Aqua sand or whatever they call it to put on top of the Aqua Soil. But I was wondering if I could but some Eco-Complete down and then put some ADA on top of that?

:fish2:

Put the soil on the bottom and cap over it or else it will be a mixed mess.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I suppose you could do that to give the substrate some depth with less cost. Since the EC has larger grains, it is possible that the sand will sift down through the EC. But will it actually happen, idk. You could always top off with more sand.
I understand that ADA substrates may leach ammonia.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Put the soil on the bottom and cap over it or else it will be a mixed mess.

The Eco Complete first or ADA?

I suppose you could do that to give the substrate some depth with less cost. Since the EC has larger grains, it is possible that the sand will sift down through the EC. But will it actually happen, idk. You could always top off with more sand.
I understand that ADA substrates may leach ammonia.

That was my plan sort of so I wouldn't have to send about $100 or more on soil. Also if it leaches ammonia wouldn't that be good for a cycling the tank?

So I guess ADA is really messy then?

Should I just put some fluorite sand on top of the Eco-Complete instead? Because I read that Eco-Complete wasn't the best for shrimp since it was so big.

How big is the tank? If it's less than 40gallons just save up to buy all ADA. 3 9L bags of ADA Amazonia completely filled my 40gallon breeder with about 6inches of substrate in some places

I have Eco and Ada mixed and I actually really like it. It's about 1/3 Eco and 2/3 ada, the Eco helps loosen up the sand and makes it not so compact. I can post a pic later if you'd like.

But if you want to go with a cap definitely cap with the Eco.

I have Eco and Ada mixed and I actually really like it. It's about 1/3 Eco and 2/3 ada, the Eco helps loosen up the sand and makes it not so compact. I can post a pic later if you'd like.

But if you want to go with a cap definitely cap with the Eco.

Yes, please take a picture and I never thought to mix it all together. :)

I just figured, like most sands mixed with gravel, the sand will eventually make its way to the bottom.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1452725549.786903.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1452725564.054394.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1452725578.071622.jpg

Sorry for the delay, but here's the pic. I like the mixture because certain plants are easier to root in sand and some do better in the Eco. So some spots are sand or Eco heavy but it still looks nice to me.

I'm sure if I had more Eco it would dominate the top like brookster said but I'm happy with the ratio I have :) and the last pic i tried getting is so u can see how much the sand gets to the bottom not too much for me.

Back
Top Bottom