ADA Aquasoil users?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JustOneMore20

Algae Fighter
I am needing some advice/feedback from Aquasoil users, if there are any out there (I'm sure some of you use it!). :)

I have a 10g planted with Aquasoil and I will be upgrading the tank to a 20 long soon. I know that when you disturb AS it leaches some ammonia. I want to know if there is a way, with a cycled filter and water changes, that I will be able to move the AS from the 10g to the 20g and put the fish and shrimp in shortly after. I really don't have a spare tank that the fish and shrimp can stay in, I need to move the fish back in.

The filter I will be using on the 20g is a AC50 that has been cycled on a 55g for a couple months. I have Purigen, which removes the cloudiness, but not ammonia. I can do tons of water changes, but I don't want to kill my fish and shrimp.

Has anyone ever moved Aquasoil to another tank? How did that go? I'm hoping someone has or can atleast offer me some advice. :)

For a 20 long, how much Aquasoil would you use? I have 6L in the 10g and I'm hoping that buying another 3L bag will be enough. The majority of the substrate will be planted with HC or Glosso, so it doesn't have to be thick.

Any advice/suggestions are welcomed! TIA!

Good filtration with a cycled filter, and lots of plants from the start, and any ammonia issues can be avoided. You can also use some ammonia-sorb in the filter in the short term until the new tank settles in.

Good filtration with a cycled filter, and lots of plants from the start, and any ammonia issues can be avoided. You can also use some ammonia-sorb in the filter in the short term until the new tank settles in.

I agree with Zezmo. Put your fish and shrimp in a holding container filled with tank water and an airstone, drain the 10G as much as possible, move the substrate to the 20G and add the new Aquasoil, fill it using a bowl or plate to run the water into so it doesn't stir up the Aquasoil any more than necessary, test for ammonia and nitrate, do another large water change before introducing the livestock if ammonia shows up on the test or nitrates are too high. You should be OK.

Thanks guys. I will do it exactly as you described. :) I do have a ton of stem plants in the 10g that will be moving (Rotala rotundifolia, Baby Tears, L. arcuata mainly) so I have that covered. The fun part will be catching my 10 juvie RCS. :D Shouldn't be too hard though.....I hope.

Thanks again!

Oh and for anyone wondering, I went ahead and got a 9L bag to add in....so I should have plenty for the 20g. :)

Back
Top Bottom