Add a Powerhead???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MKFMedic

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 34 gallon (Boderline) Nano System with a mix of mainly LPS with a couple of SPS corals that are all doing well. This tanks in my office and I'm really happy with it, although my productivity has gone down.

I use an ecotech mp10 which moves a LOT of water around! I usually have it set in the pulse mode which creates a nice back and forth action in the tank. Even with the back and forth action of the water there is still a noticeable circular flow, from top to bottom. In other words, the pulses are sent out from right to left, hit the opposite tank wall, then deflect downward returning along the bottom and back up to the mp10. My xenias, bubble tip, and frogspawn all have a distinct "Back and Forth" action in the tank.

I have read many opinions that with mixed reefs in particular there should be a "Turbulent" flow so I'm considering adding a powerhead on the opposite side of the MP10 to break up the flow in the middle of the tank. I do have a single return with a spinstream nozzle coming off the back of the tank.

On the other hand, all of my corals seem happy and my anemone has gotten very big! I can use the "Random" Tidal crest mode of the mp10, but again, having only one power head creates a circular flow in the tank.

Anyone use an additional powerhead combined with an mp10 in a tank this size? Any opinions if adding more of a turbulent flow would really make that big of difference?

Thanks for your thoughts,

Mike

what i would do is contact your local pet store or fish store u can even call live aquaria and they will answear your questions but i think if u add one it wont hurt get a power head with controlled speed and put it on low then put the one u have now on medium this will create a nice flow in your tank

Well. I decided to go with adding a 450gpm powerhead. I have the mp10 moving the water left to right, and the powerhead moving water back to front and of course the 315gpm return pump through a spin stream nozzle.

It seems to be what I was looking for and my Riterri now seems to have a much more random movement and flow. So my flow is approximately 1515 gpm. I'm think that this will work!

I have an MP10 in my wine as well with a Koralia 425. Seemed to be the perfect mix! Should work nicely for you.

Yes it seems to be doing the trick! My riterri has much better flow & movement! The problem originated when the little bugger decided to move down and towards the front my tank, I guess the LED's are providing more than adequate light. So now I have moved the mp10 much more forward towards the front pane to follow him and that really created a circular flow. The 425 Koralia really has broken up that pattern creating a much more turbulent flow! Know, I just need to see how everything else adjusts to the flow!

Back
Top Bottom