Add buffer or kalkwasser to maintain kh/calcium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Eggpaul

Aquarium Advice Activist
So today I raised the kh from 5-11 with a powder buffer. I want to maintain it with my fresh auto top of water. Question is should I add the buffer to the container to maintain it or will kalkwasser be a better option?? Obviously I know kalkwasser will maintain calcium also. So which one? Buffer or kalkwasser? My calcium is at 420. Kh is used quickly in my crowded biocube so it always drops to 5.

Wow, that's a huge drop.

I add baking soda to my ATO at a rate of 3Tbsp per 5 gal ATO (lasts 5 days), for my 110 gal tank. But I'm only lightly to moderately stocked with corals.

I haven't talked how fast it drops to 5. So I will test it in the next few days. I guess I can manually add buffer each time, but it would be nice to automate it. So does anyone recommend kalkwasser instead of sea buffer to maintain levels?

You'll need to bring the levels to the point you want to maintain them first.
Then use kalk via ato to keep them stable.
(Don't try and raise your chemical levels with kalk.)

Start lower with the Saturation and monitor your KH. Adjust as needed higher as needed.

Just be sure your ato pump is slow and steady.

When /if you are to the point that kalk. Can't maintain those levels with the full saturation point if 2tsp/G. Then you may need to look into a two part solution.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

You'll need to bring the levels to the point you want to maintain them first.
Then use kalk via ato to keep them stable.
(Don't try and raise your chemical levels with kalk.)

Start lower with the Saturation and monitor your KH. Adjust as needed higher as needed.

Just be sure your ato pump is slow and steady.

When /if you are to the point that kalk. Can't maintain those levels with the full saturation point if 2tsp/G. Then you may need to look into a two part solution.

Ok, you say I should use kalk to keep it stable. Can I use sea buffer in the ATO to keep it stable instead? Don't know if that makes sense. Also my fresh water auto top off starts when about 2 cups of water have evaporated, and fills it up in about a minute. Is that slow enough if kalk is mixed in it? Or is slower better?

Ok, you say I should use kalk to keep it stable. Can I use sea buffer in the ATO to keep it stable instead? Don't know if that makes sense. Also my fresh water auto top off starts when about 2 cups of water have evaporated, and fills it up in about a minute. Is that slow enough if kalk is mixed in it? Or is slower better?

No,
Manually dose the buffers of calcium and alkalinity as directed to get the levels where you want them first.
After testing for a week or so, use this:
http://reef.diesyst.com/chemcalc/chemcalc.html

THEN:
Add the kalk. To your ato to only maintain those levels.
http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-01/rhf/

**I do think that if you do a couple water changes your levels will be where you want them without the use of the buffers.

Kalkwasser is only used to maintain calcium and alkalinity levels not raise them.

Two part is needed mainly for a heavily stocked sps reef.
Water changes are normally efficient enough for softer coral tanks.

What pump are you using for ato?
(Ml/minute)?

It's a maxijet 900, but I have a ball valve so the water slowly flows out. Fills about 2 cups in a minute. Is that too much?

To be honest, I think it is. That is about 490 ML/ minute.
(Might want to do a bit more research for an appropriate pump).

I am using a 50 ML / minute dosing pump with a jbj ato.

To be honest, I think it is. That is about 490 ML/ minute.
(Might want to do a bit more research for an appropriate pump).

I am using a 50 ML / minute dosing pump with a jbj ato.

Ok I can see how much I can turn down the valve to make it slower

Keep an eye on your PH as well.

I'm has the same problem with my alkalinity. I have a 120 gallon saltwater with very few soft corals. Mine dropped to 5 dkh. My lfs told me to use red sea B to dose. It has taken me 2 days of dosing to get it to 8.4. I'm very frustrated.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom