Add in sand into 6 month old tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chefrt

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I want to add sand to my tank, my tank is already running for about 6 month. In the tank I have about 1in sand, to add another 2” sand. How do I do that, just add in or I have to do something. The sand I buy is a dead sand, it is for saltwater tank, like sugar the color and size.

Use a length of pvc pipe and pour the sand in through it. This gives you the ability to aim the sand where you want it as well as limiting the sand storm that it's gonna cause. The tank will get murky for a while but, it's nothing to fret about.

No, it shouldn't bother the fish much. Just be sure to add it slowly to limit the storm.

Yes, the filters and ph's will help clear your water quicker. If you don't have the intakes covered already, you might want to put some sponges on them or even a nylon stocking to keep any larger sand particles from getting in.

I don't know what to tell you Danny. I was told eons ago by some members of this site to keep the ph's running because it helps the sand to settle. I've done this more than once and it works. Can't argue with success.

I think the best way to switch off the filter and PH. Let the sand and water settle for couple minute and start to switch on filter and follow by PH one by one. I used this method last night and I use PVC to pour in the sand into the tank. This morning the water looks clear. I more concern on the animal in the tank not on the water, because sooner or later the water will be clear.

Back
Top Bottom