Added a cave to my tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Stretch

Aquarium Advice Activist
I was cooking in the kitchen yesterday and I broke a glass bowl by accident. I thought it was Pyrex, and I put it in the sink while it was very hot, some cold water hit it, and it cracked (but didn't break). I was going to throw it away, but I figured I could use it in my tank somehow. I didn't know how to break it by hand, so I figured I'd use temperature to break it. I put it in the freezer for a few hours, took it out, and ran some water in it. It broke along the pre-existing crack perfectly.

So I cleaned it well and put the bowl in the corner of my tank (upside down) and covered it with sand. (my water is a little cloudy from disturbing the sand so much) What do you guys think? Here's the result:

img_692910_0_cd8dde7385d15b84216d86b9d294e6df.jpg
[/img]

not bad

nice piece of what i believe is bauxite (aluminum ore) i hop that does not affect you water chemistry

JDogg said:
not bad

nice piece of what i believe is bauxite (aluminum ore) i hop that does not affect you water chemistry

I have no idea what that is. Can you give me some info?

Stretch said:
JDogg said:
not bad

I have no idea what that is. Can you give me some info?
the rock on the left looks like bauxite, an aluminum ore... i would think in large amounts aluminum might not be good for the tank. however i have no idea how much if any would leach into your water, and i do not know of any test either.

The edges might not be sharp enough to cut you but they could be ragged enough to remove scales. I would absolutely take some metal sand paper to the edges to make them smoother.

Otherwise, really nice cave.

fish_4_all said:
The edges might not be sharp enough to cut you but they could be ragged enough to remove scales. I would absolutely take some metal sand paper to the edges to make them smoother.

Otherwise, really nice cave.

I'm still learning. Thank you! :)

A while back, I had some cories and angels in a 55 and learned a hard lesson. I wanted to decorate the tank and bought some plastic plants. Well I buried the stands a little but not completely and within 3 days I had 3 of 5 cories with gash wounds and 2 of 3 angels with slash wounds and missing scales. The plants were too hard and the bases needed to buried completely. I actually saw one angel sweep past the plastic plant and then watched scales fly off.

Always match your fish with the natural environment. If those are GBR, another member has them and any little scratch usually means death so extra precautions are always good.

Back
Top Bottom