Added Southdown.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

firerescue2002

Aquarium Advice Regular
Ok, I was able to find some Southdown Tropical Playsand from a fellow AA member. (y) When I got home I took my LR out and placed it in several buckets of salt water to avoid sand on them. I added 25lbs. of the sand to an existing 30lbs. of LS. 8O It has been almost 10 hours now and my tank is still in white out conditions. :? Is this normal with Southdown because of it's fine texture and how long does it last? Should I put my LR back in the tank?

Andrew

I think it's normal. I'd put the lr back in. After 10 hrs I think most of the stuff should be settled.

Yup! Its absolutely normal.. I just did it a week or so ago..Your still gonna get some settlement on your rock though.. Nothing good flow can't handle.. I must admit..Southdown looks pretty nice in there after it settles.

You can avoid some of the cloudiness when adding sand by curing it in a bucket with a piece of raw shrimp for a week or two. The bacteria will coat the sand and give it weight, it should setle out in minutes to a couple of hours versus the days it can take when adding dry.

Will the new sand smother my bacteria/biological filter that the LS created? I didn't even think of this before I added the new sand. BTW this was a recently cycled 30gal. Cycled with a cocktail shrimp.

Andrew

It'll be 4 or 5 days for your water to clear up. A lot of circulation and putting your rocks back in will help a lot.

It took me roughly 2 days to see any sort of improvement with the cloudiness. It bothered me alot. But I had no bacteria to weigh it down, since it was a new tank. Just be patient , it will settle.

Anthony

Good to hear that the tank looks good Andrew, If you could, are pictures possible?? I wouldn't mind seeing what it looks like once the dust has all settled!

Cunch

How to add images to your posts

That should help. One thing to keep in mind, there is a little bug in the system and it will not tell you after you've uploaded the photos that it is there, kind of a pain, but hopefully it will be resolved in the next release of the software. So once you click add attatchment (not submit) and the page refreshes, it's there. You can add upto 3 images per post.

Back
Top Bottom