Addicted to Guppies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pygora

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Well I guess I'm officially addicted to guppies. I wasn't quite so sure when I first tried them a few months back and had death after death. Found out we had ich, treated, and never had another death except with some fry. Now here I go not only getting about 20 fry to last but got about 20 more plus a used tank to have a tank in my bedroom too. Plus a whole ton of fake plants. You could easily set up a huge tank with all those plants but the landlord won't allow a big tank. She didn't say anything about multiple small tanks though. :) I figured if I got them from a person instead of a petstore I might have a better chance. This time if I have fry I'm hoping for something besides orange ones and a better survival rate. The newer ones have blue and orange ones, blues, and a couple that look kind of yellow, lots of little ones. I guess most people will have lots of little ones around that you can't really tell the color of yet. I really enjoy seeing everyone come to the top of the tank at feeding time and seeing them compete for the food, not that they really have to compete there is plenty. :)

Good morning pyg...

I understand the addition. I have several large tanks and about 1,000 individuals. Give or take a couple of dozen.

"Ich" and most other skin diseases won't be a problem if you dose a little standard aquarium salt when you do your water changes. I dose one teaspoon for every five gallons of my water change water and remove half the water in the tanks every week.

Aquarium salt (never table salt) has been used for decades in freshwater tanks. I've been using it for six years and have never had a disease in any of my tanks. It really keeps my "Livebearers" healthy. Actually, all tropical fish can benefit from a little aquarium salt. I keep several different species of Corydoras with my Guppies too. Corys are salt sensative, but a little keeps them in nice shape. I've had some Corys for several years.

Anyway, I've probably gone against a lot of "expert advice" by recommending the use of aquarium salt in freshwater tanks, but I've read a lot of literature recommending it and it has done wonders for my little ones.

Above everything else, have fun!

B

I have a guppie tank and my female guppies look like their scales are flaking off what could be causing this? If you have any info could you let me know I'm new to this site dk how to work any if this hardly thanks

Your Guppies

I have a guppie tank and my female guppies look like their scales are flaking off what could be causing this? If you have any info could you let me know I'm new to this site dk how to work any if this hardly thanks

Hello B.r...

I don't know the particulars of your tank nor your tank maintenance routine, but an aggressive water change routine with slightly warmer water with a teaspoon of standard aquarium salt for every 5 gallons of new, treated water and a good diet of a variety of frozen foods won't hurt.

In the tanks that require it, I change out half the water in my Fancy Guppy tanks every week. I make the new, treated water a little bit warmer.

You can also feed a little minced garlic. It contains a number of vitamins and is a natural antibiotic.

Try these for a few weeks. Good nutrition and pure water conditions can only help your fish.

B

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom