Adding 40+ fish at once.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Im just sharing my experience and what I know, dismiss it if you want. Just trying to spare you the heartache. These guys arent gonna show up if you dont listen to me.

Attachments

• Fish_Police_(M).jpg
    Fish_Police_(M).jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 47
I'm going to have to agree there's plenty of room for casualty. The problem is BB doesn't stick around unless it has the bioload to sustain it. If there isn't a large bioload then the BB will die off to a certain point at which there is equilibrium. So by transferring it over, unless that bioload is transferred as well your going to have dieoff. In turn, by adding 40 fish after the fact, there will certainly be a brief spike. I'm sure your filter capacity will accommodate the spike but not in enough time to keep the chemistry stable. I just think all at once could be very costly, not dismissing you just trying to help

Exactly, id like to dwell on on the last thing you mentioned.. With 40 fish in the tank aggression will be low and could put me in good stead for when i cut them down to 10.

Possibly, but the opposite could also be true - if you overcrowd them too much, you will get aggression. Overcrowding associated with aggression is domumented in almost every single species, include very docile ones like mice. I don't know where that magic number lies with peacocks in terms of overcrowding cutting down on aggression vs. leading to more aggression, but based on final numbers I've seen a lot of people post for aquariums, I would guess it lies well below 40.

Usually with peacocks you dont want to do the "overstock" thing. They're different and don't cope like mbuna with a higher stock #. 40 is way to many with most of them growing at or over 5" in a 4' tank. Your filtration should be able to keep the bio load down but to me that's out of the question as aggression would be the primary problem here. Even at a stocking # of 25 would be pushing it imo.

That's my 2 cents ;)

Usually with peacocks you dont want to do the "overstock" thing. They're different and don't cope like mbuna with a higher stock #. 40 is way to many with most of them growing at or over 5" in a 4' tank. Your filtration should be able to keep the bio load down but to me that's out of the question as aggression would be the primary problem here. Even at a stocking # of 25 would be pushing it imo.

That's my 2 cents ;)

Cheers Andy, not even if when they reached 3iches i remove 30 of them?

That would be fine, I could see more then ten in the tank forever- maybe like 15. The problem with 3" is they will be just starting to color up. That's when aggression is going to pick up. If you have places to move them to then I don't see it being much a problem. If you can watch them most of the time. I don't see why you would want to spend that much money, then need to figure out what to do with 20-30 more fish or whatever. At less there is going to be an upgrade to a 6' tank in the future. If you buy them small like 1" you'll have a really good amount of time to do that because they grow a little slower than mbuna IMO, Haps are even slower but that's a different story

Back
Top Bottom