Adding a Protein skimmer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cdcsboy

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Have a Red Sea Berlin protein skimmer...would like to know recommendations for what kind of external pump to use. Also using wet/dry system, but do not want to mod it for a submersible pump. Can anyone give me some reasonably priced, good alternatives?

Thanks!
Chris

So what do you want? Recommendations for an external pump that will run both the tank and the skimmer? Or are you gonna use a seperate external pump for the skimmer? Or are you wanting to put a submersible on the skimmer?

What size tank is it?

75 gallon...Have a separate bulkhead drilled in my wet/dry filter that could be used to port water out for the skimmer. Would like an external pump for the skimmer only, but could use internal one inside wet/dry and pump out to skimmer if necessary. My options are open...just don't want to spend a ton of dough!

You can use a Mag Drive 7 or 9.5 for the berlin and use it either internal or external :wink: Any comparable Lil Giant or Iwaki pump will do an excellent job for just the skimmer.

Thanks for the info...I was thinking mag drive but wanted some extra input. Appreciate your quick help!
Chris

No problem, if you go with the Mag, and use it external for the skimmer, I'd probably go with the 9.5 to compensate for any increased head pressure.

Just as a side note to that skimmer. I have the same skimmer and bought the upgrade kit to make it the turbo. This basically is just a pump that has the venturi built in then you remove the venturi valve that is in the skimmer. This makes cleaning and maintanence of the skimmer much easier. The venturi that exists with the skimmer tends to clog rather easily and requires removal for a good cleaning and will clog quicker if dosing with calcium of any kind.

If run this with an external pump I would have a shut off valve between the sump and skimmer somewhere to make cleaning easier. Just a thought before hand.

Back
Top Bottom