Adding a spotlight in planted tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kashif314

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a nano six gallon heavily planted tank. It has a top aquablue brand light.

IMG-20180102-WA0003.jpg

I have a spare Fluval Prism underwater spotlight so I was thinking to add it to my tank.

IMG-20180102-WA0002.jpg

I won't turn it on its full intensity. Just I think I can select maroon or red or purple color and direct it towards my bonsai tree to look it more beautiful. But I usually see all people with planted tanks having white lights only. So I want to make sure if adding a spotlight which can be of any other color won't harm plants. Please reply.

This is how light looks like so you can have a better idea if its suitable for planted tanks or not.

https://youtu.be/SZf86zrtbtM

Thanks.

White light wash’s out plant colour so I’d say go for it. Play with the red and blues and it will really make it “pop”

I read somewhere that too much blue can cause algae but I’m guessing you’d have to be in a pretty high spectrum for it to do so.

I’m not very experienced with lighting spectrums etc so I can’t give advice on that sorry

Would say go for it as well. I know you can do this in aquaponics. Just keep an eye on plants / algae I think - the underwater strip lights I had were low par / cheap so more just for the look in the end.

Imo (this year) I think just watch blue light as it penetrates very, very well compared to red light. Thus more easy to overdo it. I’ve grown plants under basically reef lights and plants grow, but so does algae. I had empty CO2 bottle for a week and new growth just ran into a brick wall. But those were expensive box lights (first time I’d seen leds with fans!).

White light wash’s out plant colour so I’d say go for it. Play with the red and blues and it will really make it “pop”

I read somewhere that too much blue can cause algae but I’m guessing you’d have to be in a pretty high spectrum for it to do so.

I’m not very experienced with lighting spectrums etc so I can’t give advice on that sorry

Would say go for it as well. I know you can do this in aquaponics. Just keep an eye on plants / algae I think - the underwater strip lights I had were low par / cheap so more just for the look in the end.

Imo (this year) I think just watch blue light as it penetrates very, very well compared to red light. Thus more easy to overdo it. I’ve grown plants under basically reef lights and plants grow, but so does algae. I had empty CO2 bottle for a week and new growth just ran into a brick wall. But those were expensive box lights (first time I’d seen leds with fans!).
Thanks guys. I will give it a try.

Back
Top Bottom