Adding an Angelfish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ziggs180

Aquarium Advice Freak
Next month, there is a good chance I will be upgrading my Tank from a 29 Gallon to a 46 Gallon bowfront. If this happens, I would like to upgrade my fish stock. Something i've wanted is an Angelfish. However I'm worried about compatability issues. Currently my Fish Stocking is 2 Blue Rams, 1 Dwarf Gourami, 8 Harlequin Rasboras, 1 Albino Bristlenose, and 5 Amano Shrimp 5 Adult Platy/Swordtails, and 3 Fry that i'm raising in a breeder.

I have heard that Angelfish might eat Amanos, but my Amanos are already at full size, and If I decide to get an Angelfish, I will be getting them when they are young. Does anybody see any possible issues with this stocking? Or if this isn't compatible, could anybody suggest alternative fish?

I think as long as you get a young angel it wouldnt bother the other fish. I have 2 angels and shrimp in my tank they dont bother with each other
When they get older they will eat the shrimp and the rasboras probably

They may eat the shrimp when they are fully grown, but the harlequins will not be at risk (At least they shouldn't be :D) as they are large enough to not be eaten. I do not want to advise in terms of stocking, but I can comment on the compatibility......so yeah, they will probably eat shrimp when fully grown, but all the other fish (Besides fry!) should be fine

I've never kept angels with gouramis but that maybe your only issue. I'm not sure how well an adult gourami would tolerate the new angel(s). I don't see any other issues other than the fry and shrimp would be goners for sure.

I have a 46 bowfront and I love it!

My dwarf gourami killed one of my angels and seriously injured the other. I've never seen any other signs of aggression from him, and he seemed fine when the angels were introduced. When I turned off the light on the tank though all bets were off. I know people have kept DG's and angels together successfully, but my experience was not a good one.

I've never had any other compatibility issues with either the DG or the angel and Momo (my angel) has never shown any interest in my shrimp or my smaller fish. That's probably just luck though. He's lazy and prefers to be hand fed. :)

Good luck with your tank!

My koi angel makes quick work of any shrimp and fully grown guppies. Neons and other fish seem to be too fast for her to catch though.

Now that you mention the Dwarf Gourami, I'm a bit worried. My Dwarf Gourami bullies several of my fish (mostly my Rams, but sometimes my platys if they annoy him). Theres never been any injuries, and my Rams are still very healthy and alive. I do have a densely planted tank, and will probably get more plants when I switch to a 46, so that might help out.

My Amano Shrimp are about 3 inches long, they are bigger than my platys, so I'm wondering how an Angel would kill them.

Mine were in a heavily planted 40 gal breeder, so just keep an eye out for problems.

The first angel died over night the first night. He didn't have any obvious injuries and I didn't think anything of it. Juvie angels aren't the hardiest of fish. The next morning I came out the the DG had the remaining angel pinned on the ground and was ramming him with his head over and over again. He kept trying to hit the net while I was removing Momo. I've never seen anything like it. Momo spent two days laying on the bottom of the hospital tank not moving. I thought for sure he was going to die, but then on the third day he pulled through. Now he's just really skiddish and is hand fed because he won't compete with the platties for food. He just retreats to the back of the tank and waits for me to feed him.

Like I said, you may not have any problems at all, I've got a really mellow angel and a really disgruntled gourami so my experience may not be typical, just wanted to give you a heads up.

Your bowfront is going to look awesome planted! I tried to plant mine buy my jack dempsey destroyed everything I put in there. He does not like plants. Be sure and post pictures!

I'd expect the shrimp to get eaten and I would add a angel that is larger than the gourami in hopes of avoiding issues between those two. The gourami might not want to tolerate the angel and if it's larger than it, it won't have to.

Back
Top Bottom