adding another finnex planted plus 24/7

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tifta

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 55 gallon tank with a 48 in finnex planted plus 24/7 light. I am wanting to house some high lighted plants. I have pressurized co2 and dosing EI Method.. I am wanting to add another 24/7 or another light. You think 2 would be overkill? Or is there another finnex I could add along with the 24/7? I would love some feedback.

Last edited:
I don't think it would be overkill. It is about 20" tall. I run a Finnex Planted+ over a 20g long (12" tall) and I add a few CFLs along the back to bump up the lighting. Not only increased intensity, you will get a better light spread along the bottom of the tank.
I think PoppaRhyno has a pair of 24/7s over his tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Should be quite manageable.. if you want the dos leds? Get dos leds... they're dimmable;)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I don't think it would be overkill. It is about 20" tall. I run a Finnex Planted+ over a 20g long (12" tall) and I add a few CFLs along the back to bump up the lighting. Not only increased intensity, you will get a better light spread along the bottom of the tank.
I think PoppaRhyno has a pair of 24/7s over his tank.

It's a 20" tall... I'm trying to find a cheaper alternative then adding another 24/7.. Would CFLs be enough to bump up par?

You could just start off with the single 24/7 and see how the plants you've selected do with it (assuming optimal CO2 and ferts).
Regarding CFLs, I am not familiar with light penetration at 20". It's great at 12". You could start with one or two 26w 6500k bulbs in the 8.5" domes. That should cost around $30-40 or less depending on where you get them.
If the single 24/7 and pair of CFLs provide the results you are looking for then you can add 1-2 more to complete the setup. If not, then you are not out a lot of money.

You could just start off with the single 24/7 and see how the plants you've selected do with it (assuming optimal CO2 and ferts).
Regarding CFLs, I am not familiar with light penetration at 20". It's great at 12". You could start with one or two 26w 6500k bulbs in the 8.5" domes. That should cost around $30-40 or less depending on where you get them.
If the single 24/7 and pair of CFLs provide the results you are looking for then you can add 1-2 more to complete the setup. If not, then you are not out a lot of money.

Thanks for the advice. I think I'll stick with the 24/7 for now and see how the plants do. I might just save up and put another finnex on.

I was looking at the finnex fugeray planted plus, but I couldn't seem to find the par on a 48". Would those two bump me up to high light?

The planted plus is pushing about the same par as the 24 7.. 247 has rgb's which plants do like. 2 of either would put you into solid medium light, you can do a lot with that.. high light is overrated, to many variables, starts taking fun away from the hobby imo.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I saw a PAR chart for the planted+ somewhere but not sure if included data for the 48". Also, adding multiple fixtures does not necessarily mean getting the sum of PAR values (example: fixture A has 61 PAR and fixture B has 45 PAR so the sum is 106 PAR). That's more of a ballpark number. But I think 2x 24/7 will get into high light and if not, the upper end of medium. The big upside is that they are adjustable. I would take a 24/7 over the planted+.

Back
Top Bottom