Adding Extra Filtration

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Patty1980

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hey all. I have a 20g tall with a Marineland penguin 150 HOB. Aqadvisor says for the stock I'm planning I should add more filtration. I can add a second 150 for $25. My question is what are the benefits? It doesn't change anything except increases the percentage of filtration capacity for my selected species. My weekly water change requirements stay the same. My tank remains over stocked at 106%. So, if I'm a diligent weekly water changer, why spend money on another filter? Just trying to learn :) Thank you.

Sent from my EVO using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Hey all. I have a 20g tall with a Marineland penguin 150 HOB. Aqadvisor says for the stock I'm planning I should add more filtration. I can add a second 150 for $25. My question is what are the benefits? It doesn't change anything except increases the percentage of filtration capacity for my selected species. My weekly water change requirements stay the same. My tank remains over stocked at 106%. So, if I'm a diligent weekly water changer, why spend money on another filter? Just trying to learn :) Thank you.

I also have a 20G tall with the same Filter you have. For me it wasn't enough filtration and that was with 8 Zebra Danios. I bought a second filter (Penguin 150 HOB) the water became crystal clear. If Aqadvisor says your overstocked at 106% then yes get a second filer. Or you can buy the Marineland Penguin 100 HOB its 16$ at amazon. Also theres never such thing as over filtration.

So, just better for the fishes overall. Ok. But by no means does adding a second filter make it ok to add more fish? I'm planning on my 2 ADF, 5 neons (maybe), my 5 zebra danios, 4 panda Cory, 3 dwarf gourami. 19 seems like plenty.....

You can never really have to much filtration and your tank overall will benefit from the additional filter, likewise it will allow a little more security in the event you are out of town for a prolonged period. The addition does not mean however you should overstock your tank, you mentioned that Aqaadvisor puts you at 106% currently if anything you would want to shoot lower not higher on stocking. This will not only benefit your fish but you as well as overstocking can and will lead to many future headaches and does not promote the best environment for your fish.

Tank Filtration

Hello Patty...

A 20 Gallon tank needs a filter with a gallon per hour (gph) rating of 80. More than that is fine, but unnecessary. All you need to do is change out half the tank water every week and your fish and plants will stay healthy.

B

Thanks I will check the gph. Never have looked :doh:

And another duh....150 is the gph. Right on.

It will give you much more slack, as to if you screw up, or if one stops working for some reason. Also, if you plan on upgrading tanks, you can use one as a GREAT seed material, and have the other still running. If you have the extra cash, I would go ahead and buy it.

Cycling 45 Gallon. ???

Yeah, for $25 bucks I'm gonna just get it.

Back
Top Bottom