Adding fish question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishieguy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Is any time of day better than any other to add a new fish to an existing aquarium? It may make no difference whatsoever, but I thought I'd ask.

I don't think it really matters one way or the other, although I always leave the tank lights off during the first day: it seems to allow the new fish to feel a bit more comfortable as they adjust to their new surroundings.

I have never noticed a difference, however on the day you plan to add the fish, wait to feed until after they are added to the tank.

this works wonders to help new fish make friends fast.

I'm not sure about the time of the day, but I think Wednesday is the best day of the week... :mrgreen: That's when my LFS has a new supply of fish!

Our lfs says that it keeps all new fish in tanks in the back for at least a week before moving them out front for sale. If it's true, that's great thing.

i heard your supposed to feed them as you add them, so the other fish wont put all theri attention to the new one, and will focus on feeding.... other wise, i find that saturday around 11:36am is my favortie time to add fish. let it aclimate make a sandwich, put it in, and sit bac and eat lunch while enjoying your new fish... lol

Thanks for the input, all. I know it's a strange question, but I just want my fish to have the best chance in their new homes. (Have I used up my allotment of newbie questions yet?) :)

Back
Top Bottom