Adding fish to established tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

djhamp

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 55gal (4') tank that was set-up 3 years ago. I started with 19 small mixed africans. They did great overall, no fighting to speak of. Now I am done to 9 fish, peacocks & zebras mainly - 4" to 5". They seem to be getting more territorial, the one big yellow fish (zebra?) re-arranges the sand daily.

Anyway I would like to add a couple of nice peacocks or maybe acei, something colorful thats not yellow or orange (?!)

I wouldnt want to put small fish in there but if I find some simular in size do you think its Ok to add a couple? Would male or female be preferred?

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_1384.jpg
    IMG_1384.jpg
    218.1 KB · Views: 97
I think you probably do need to add more to diffuse the aggression. They don't need to be the exact same size but they should be big enough not be eaten.

Out of curiosity, what happened to the other 10 fish?

Plenty of blue Haps/peacocks out there. I just added a few new fish who are still young, about 1 1/2 inches. My adult Ciclids didn't even care they are in tank.

I think you probably do need to add more to diffuse the aggression. They don't need to be the exact same size but they should be big enough not be eaten.

Out of curiosity, what happened to the other 10 fish?

I started a 120 gal with SA fish, I had a couple of jewels, and cat fish that I moved from the 55 to the bigger tank. A couple have died over the years.

Back
Top Bottom