Adding Green Chromis

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MarinaClown

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a 40G breeder with protein skimmer live sand and live rock. I currently have two ocellaris clowns and a Barlett's Anthias. I want to add more activity. How many green Chromis can I add without overloading the tank?

I have a 40G breeder with protein skimmer live sand and live rock. I currently have two ocellaris clowns and a Barlett's Anthias. I want to add more activity. How many green Chromis can I add without overloading the tank?

Maybe 2-3. But that may be pushing it. I myself have a 40b. 2 clowns and Midas blenny. IMO there are other fish you could add instead of the Chromis. Maybe an angel or something colorful. But that's just me. Because they school, you need at least a trio and that would make your stock full.

Maybe 2-3. But that may be pushing it. I myself have a 40b. 2 clowns and Midas blenny. IMO there are other fish you could add instead of the Chromis. Maybe an angel or something colorful. But that's just me. Because they school, you need at least a trio and that would make your stock full.

Yeah I will probably just add a flameback or cherub as my last fish no Chromis. Thanks.

Sorry about the quality of my pics!

Attachments

• image-1618197237.jpg
    image-1618197237.jpg
    161.8 KB · Views: 129
  • image-195122341.jpg
    image-195122341.jpg
    172.3 KB · Views: 154
Flame angel needs a larger tank than a 40. Flameback or cherub mentioned earlier are even pushing it.

Flame angel needs a larger tank than a 40. Flameback or cherub mentioned earlier are even pushing it.

Disagree. I had a cherub in a 30 gallon cube with 2 clowns and it was just fine. As long as they are added last they will be happy in a smaller tank.

I think the reason for him saying so is because the minimum recommended size is a 70gal.

I would definitely think twice before putting a flame angel in a 40 gallon. They get big. I recently saw a fully grown coral beauty which was about 4-4 1/4 inches long. that fish was big. I began to wonder how people keep them in 24, 28 and 29 gallon nano cubes.
However, a cherub angel could comfortably live in a smaller tank and having kept one in a 30 gallon I wouldn't say that having a cherub in a 40 gallon is pushing it. As they get territorial it's important to add them last.

As for the chromis they say to do odd numbers as they like to be in a school. So I did 3 for my 75 and while they were in the 10 g qt they killed each other until there was 1. The lone soldier is doing great he is in the dt now and gets along with everyone.

After I lost the other two I did some more research and found out that if they are in a small system there is a greater tendency for aggression And to feed them multiple times a day to relieve some of the tension. Just food for thought...

Not sure if I'm going to try to add a few more or not I've read more than a few instance where they slowly picked off the weakest link until there was 1. Fortunately they only cost a few bucks but I hate killing the little guys...

I also disagree. Dwarf angels would do fine in a 40 breeder. There's enough width and length for them to swim peacefully. LiveAquaria use to categorize flame angels in a 30 gallon maximum. And now they changed it to 70 gallons. Other sites still keep their requirements at 30. So as long as you have open swimming room in your 40b you'll be fine. They aren't like tangs that swim miles. They cruise around and pick at algae.

You can't generalize dwarf angels. Not all created equal. Cherub/Pygmy and flameback may be OK in a 40 but certainly not a flame or coral beauty. They get larger than the others.

Same rules apply as tangs or any other fish. Plan for max fish size.

As for the chromis they say to do odd numbers as they like to be in a school. So I did 3 for my 75 and while they were in the 10 g qt they killed each other until there was 1. The lone soldier is doing great he is in the dt now and gets along with everyone.

After I lost the other two I did some more research and found out that if they are in a small system there is a greater tendency for aggression And to feed them multiple times a day to relieve some of the tension. Just food for thought...

Not sure if I'm going to try to add a few more or not I've read more than a few instance where they slowly picked off the weakest link until there was 1. Fortunately they only cost a few bucks but I hate killing the little guys...

Sorry you lost two of them. I agree a school of 3-5 would be nice. Unfortunately I don't have enough room :(

Back
Top Bottom