Adding light

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KTpoopenstein

Aquarium Advice Freak
I recently got one of these (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IHV8MW2/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_eL3EvbX38HPS5) to supplement the stock light on my tank which is super low (8w I think). Iirc they had other colors besides white and I was thinking of getting a couple more to replace the stock light (although I'm not sure how I'll take it out but I'll figure something out. I can probably fit 2-3 more on the hood and I'd like to have adequate light for plants so are there any particular colors I should look for? Not sure if I saw any that said they were specifically for plants.

My tank is a weird size so finding standard lights that will fit is tough. This is the first I've found in probably 3 years that actually fits.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

The color is should be fine for plant growth (5500-6000k). Your tank is tall and narrow, correct? Yes, it may take a few of those. At least you can add them incrementally.
I was going to suggest CFL bulbs as an inexpensive alternative, however:
• Not sure how what kind of light penetration they will provide
• They probably won't work well with your hood

Yeah my tank is about 24" tall but only 12" square. I haven't found anything else that really fit until I got this one, and there's an even smaller one (18cm) if need be. Surprisingly bright for the price! ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1434156996.430366.jpg
That's with the stock light and the LED bar. It made a big difference when I added it. Only downside is that there's no switch but I have it on a timer anyway so that's not a big issue.

Back
Top Bottom