adding liquid carbon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aquarium 308

Aquarium Advice Activist
What time of the day i a good time to add liquid carbon. I am not running a co2 pump.

What time of the day i a good time to add liquid carbon. I am not running a co2 pump.

It breaks down within 12 to 24 hours, so ideally you want to add it a little while before the lights come on. I add mine around 8 AM in the morning before I leave for work and my lights first come on at 12 noon. Seems to work OK for me.

Dosing twice a day is usually necessary. One when the lights come on and the second during the afternoon. That's what I usually do.

Sent with my fingers

Adding Fertilizers

Hello aq...

When I add fertilizers, I wait until I change the tank water. The water change removes nutrients, so I replace them as the tank fills with new, treated tap water.

B

Hello aq...

When I add fertilizers, I wait until I change the tank water. The water change removes nutrients, so I replace them as the tank fills with new, treated tap water.

B

Liquid carbon is not a fertilizer, it needs to be dosed daily prior to lights on.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Liquid carbon is not a fertilizer, it needs to be dosed daily prior to lights on.

Right. I am doing leaf zone by api as well. Just weekly doses. Gonna do just half dose the first two weeks so fish get used to it.
Thanks

I use Fluorish Excel and I dose 1 ml every evening at feeding time. I do it at feeding time since my air pump and filter closed which is important.

I use Fluorish Excel and I dose 1 ml every evening at feeding time. I do it at feeding time since my air pump and filter closed which is important.

Not really, actually couldn't think of a worse time to dose.. fish are overly inhaling.. not that it really matters.. and filters off, you want it circulating around the tank...
1 ml is a suitable dose for a 3 gallon tank as well..

I've always dosed mine in the morning.. the lights usually go on before I get up, but it's pretty soon after that. I feed a bit later, after it's had some time to circulate. Excel tells you a daily dose, and also to add a much larger dose with major water changes. API Carbon booster doesn't make a distinction.. they just give a daily dose. So I add more on water change days, right in the new water.

I use Flourish Excel and do mine after a wc, in the morning, but have read you must use ferts in conjunction with FE.......

I use Flourish Excel and do mine after a wc, in the morning, but have read you must use ferts in conjunction with FE.......

Do you turn off your filter for a bit when you put your carbon and ferts in?

I don't think you have to fertilize with Excel.

Carbon is required for plant growth, certainly, but it's not a fertilizer as such. There just isn't much carbon in water, hence the myriad methods to try to get CO2 to dissolve to the max in water.

If you don't have a lot of light, plants don't use as much in the way of nutrients, but you could still use Excel or something similar, and it would do some good, since a large part of the cellular structure of plants is, in part, carbon. This is why dead, dry, brown plants are referred to as a carbon source in compost piles. It's such a big part of the cellular structures.

I think most folks who are interested enough in growing plants, that they even bother using Excel, likely also fertilize, so they certainly tend to be used together.

I just have an amazon sword and a java fern in a 20 to start. Ive been using api liquid carbon as it calls 1ml per 10 gallon once a day. Then i give it a half dose of leaf Zone by api once a week. Carbon goes in when lights go on in the morning. I do not turn off the air or filter. I leave them run. Light is a 15w T8 18" bulb. I run it 10hrs a day. Leaves look like they starting to turn black in the fern. Im new to plants and just trying to figure it out

I was told Fishfur, to add ferts by a guy who does aquascaping, not at the same time but later on the same day, if that makes sense......all after a wc......

I just have an amazon sword and a java fern in a 20 to start. Ive been using api liquid carbon as it calls 1ml per 10 gallon once a day. Then i give it a half dose of leaf Zone by api once a week. Carbon goes in when lights go on in the morning. I do not turn off the air or filter. I leave them run. Light is a 15w T8 18" bulb. I run it 10hrs a day. Leaves look like they starting to turn black in the fern. Im new to plants and just trying to figure it out
I would cut your light time down to 8 hours.........

Well, one thing we have in abundance in this hobby is different opinions ! I've never heard this, but there's certainly nothing wrong with doing it that way.

Edit.. for swords, if you want it to grow well, you pretty much need to use fert tabs in the substrate. They are heavy root feeders. And running lights that long is asking for algae unless you have a lot of algae eaters in the tank.

I heard of not adding macros and micros at the same time...something about (iron) precipitation. I add them at the same time but usually at opposite sides of the tank. I add Glutaraldehyde (active ingredient in Excel) at that time as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I add glut to the tanks approx 30 mins before lights come on so's it has time to be circulated throughout&ready for the plants to use..

Getcha feet wet fish tank people!

Back
Top Bottom