Adding livebearers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BondStreet

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi again,

I wanted to ask some advice. So far in my tank I have:

6 Red-eye tetras
4 yellow tetras
2 guppies
1 albino cory cat
1 spotted cory cat
1 pleco
4 neon tetras
AND Live plants!

The tank is in great shape so far. It has fully cycled, the fish all seem to be settled in.

The thing is, I want it to be a community tank and start adding a few live bearers slowly(platies, mollies etc.), however, I understand that they thrive wih some salt in the water. My questions are:

1.) What particular salt is best?
2.) Is it safe to add the appropriate amount of salt to a tank with fish that has had no salt in the water to begin with? And will that kill/affect whats in there including the plants?
3.) A long time ago(when I was younger) had several livebearers in a tank without any salt added and they all were fine. Is it essential to have salt?
4.) If it is, what are the rules when changing water? Do I add salt with each change?

Sorry for all the questions. I just want to keep my 75 gal healthy and thriving. I am slowly building a community, planted tank. I want everything to go well. I know it's a slow process, but I just want to get info for now.

Thanks for all your help!
Bondstreet

No salt in a planted tank, period. different plants tolerate different conditions, but almost none of them tolerate salt.

Aha!
Really good to know that. So I should just be careful in adding livebearers? What advice can you give to add livebearers to a non-salted tank?
Thanks!
Bondstreet

I have no salt in any of my tanks and have many different kinds of fish including the following live bearers: sword tails, mollies, platies, and guppies.

I've had one molly for about 2 years and have been breading mollies for about a year. So, I have over 100 mollies that have never lived in water with salt. They all seem healthy and thriving.

So I think you should be able to add what ever kind of live bearing fish you prefer and be fine.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom