Adding more fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nataliedd

Aquarium Advice Activist
Ok just wanted to check what you guys think. 340litres tank, gravel, cycled and good parameters. Already in- 4 guppies, 10 neons, 8 rummy nose, 6 corys and 2 mollies. Would like to gradually increase fish cos there's still a good bit of space. Would like some sort of algae eater that cleans/sucks the glass.???Couple more obvious fish,possibly clown loaches and rainbow fish. Now I would love a betta and a gourami. My lfs has advised me that the above 2 would be fine in my tank but having read up a bit I don't think they'd be compatabile in my tank? So what you guys think would be possible options in my tank with the other fish? P's I'm new so only want relatively easy fish to care for, don't wanna bite off more than I can chew! Nat x

Sent from my SM-G800F using Aquarium Advice mobile app

P's two week heat treatment just finished for ich.

Ok just wanted to check what you guys think. 340litres tank, gravel, cycled and good parameters. Already in- 4 guppies, 10 neons, 8 rummy nose, 6 corys and 2 mollies. Would like to gradually increase fish cos there's still a good bit of space. Would like some sort of algae eater that cleans/sucks the glass.???Couple more obvious fish,possibly clown loaches and rainbow fish. Now I would love a betta and a gourami. My lfs has advised me that the above 2 would be fine in my tank but having read up a bit I don't think they'd be compatabile in my tank? So what you guys think would be possible options in my tank with the other fish? P's I'm new so only want relatively easy fish to care for, don't wanna bite off more than I can chew! Nat x

No clown loaches, for them you really need a five foot tank, which I don't think yours is. I would do a big group of otos or two small plecos, like a bristlenose or bulldog. You can have either a Betta or a gourami, id do a honey or dwarf, you might be able to do two honeys if you are heavily planted. A group of 3-5 Boesami rainbows would look nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

So you still have a decent amount of space left like about 45 or so inches in my opinion. But as for catfish go you could always get one or a couple banjo catfish they get up to 6 inches and you can get 1 or have a group just make sure there's plenty of hiding places. If not that then you could get a couple of clown plecos. As for other fish I think a school of sail fin mollies would look good. Also I don't see a reason you can't have gouramis in your tank. They say you can't have them in pairs but if you have five or more then they establish I guess you could call it an alpha and then happily school together. Lastly a fish I would recommend is the kuhli loach or dojo loach I've found these fish fairly easy to car for and very interesting to watch.

Oh sorry I'm awful at conversions, clowns would be fine. The inch per gal rule is honestly junk though spencer, 10 neons and a 10 inch oscar are not the same thing.

Gouramis and mollies don't school.

Ya I don't follow that rule either depending on wether you take care of your tank or not you could defiantly go over that limit

Ta everyone for responding. Wasn't sure about adding plecos, lfs advised me not to get any due to them growing humongous and producing a lot of waste? ?? Also if I do get a betta will it be ok with the guppies and neons cos I read that fins get nipped! Banjo catfish........never heard of them.....must go read up and see what I think of them. Kulhi loach was possibility but wasn't sure cos supposedly they hide ALOT. I'd worry they were dead if I didn't see them! Lol. So gourami possibly no good with mollies, do they fight?? And as for figured out fish allowance I'm lost! Sorry if I appear to fussy or asking too many questions but I want to be sure before I buy.

Spencer recommended a "school" of mollies and gourami- the mollies don't school, they will be fine in pairs or trios, and the gouramis are a toss up. I think five is way too many, you might get lucky but most gouramis sold are males and they are very capable of murder, especially con-specifics. Fine with other fish but I'd only do two at most.

BN plecos are max of four inches but all plecs are quite messy.

Don't do a Betta with anything long finned.

Okay so clown plecos only grow 4 inches (10 cm). The beta alson known as the Siamese fighting fish will attack and most likely kill every fish that is colorful or has long fins I have my beta alone it's own 2.5 gal with a couple of horned nitrite snails. When I first got kuhli loaches they hid for about a week and then I wake up one morning And they are all just laying on the bottom during feeding some will come up to the top and try to get the flake food even though I feed them tablets. For gouramis you should get at least 5 or just one and make sure they are the same species. Or two kissing gouramis would be okay together. The mollies they don't fight that much I mean they will chase each other around but I would consider that more playing than fighting. Lastly as far as stoking goes it all depends on what you want to get.
Clown Pleco = 4in (10cm)
Banjo cat = 6in (15cm)
Kuhli loach = 4-5in (10-12.5cm) but it can be considered half that due how skinny it is
Dwarf gouramis = 2.5in (6.5cm)
Kissing gourami = 6in (15cm)
Mollies = 2.5-5in (6.5-12.5cm)

He's also probably right about being way to much gouramis but in a tank that size if you get like 2 or three they will probably keep to themselves

Rainbows would really bring life to the tank. I have Praecox and Bosemani in my 75 gal.

Also kissing gourami reach a foot plus if I remember correctly of nastiness, same with blues, not as big but just as mean

Hm that's interesting I've just heard from several different people and website and they if you have a large amount of them they will not try to kill each other I have two red paradise gouramis in my 29 gal and it was always said to me that they are one of the most aggressive type of gourami but they have been living happily together for almost a year now and they have nice vibrant colors and there tails are starting to get fairly long. They fight here and there but they pretty much stick to separate sides of the tank.

Kissing gouramis reach 6 to 12 inches so it really just varies on how they mature

I really appreciate all thoughts and advice, ta everyone. I'm gonna mull it over with the hubby and il let yous know what we go for ( obviously not all at once!) Nat

Back
Top Bottom