Adding new community species -- HELP!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dasaint

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 56gal column tall community tank with the following:

Fluval 306
5 rainbow fishes
6 xray tetras
5 neons
7 red eye tetras
1 swordtail
1 platy
2 mollies
4 guppies
red cherry shrimps
snails (mts?)
live plants

In the next few weeks, looking to add some additional fish. Any recommendations?

Does any of the red eye tetras chase the guppies?
I want to keep at least 2 of them to breed, but im only on 16 gallon though. And I have 5 red eye tetras.

Back to the topic, it would look cool if you get a mate to your swordtaill and platy, you might dont want to keep the fries latter but its just an idea that came to my head.
Increasing a school of fish that you like, for example more xray tetras, neon tetras or rainbow fish, I personally love neon tetras. Or just increase by 2 all of them.

I would say Dwarf Gourami too, but my female swordtail bullied mine to death, and some of the red eye tetras helped, by chasing him sometimes.

mmm I don't know about that stock.. How long have the current fish been in? Definitely don't add a dwarf gourami. Those guppies, mollies, platy and possibly the rainbows will get beat up.
There must have been something wrong with torres DG, because I've known them to be the more aggressive gourami. He ran the tank although the blue, pearl and gold were all bigger. I've heard many similar stories too.

Like torres said though, just add additional fish to what you already have. More neons or something. Keep in mind, xrays don't like being crowded because of their senses. They move based more on sound than sight, they pick up vibrations and sound waves through a certain bony part of them. Constantly having different species swimming frantically around them will cause stress.

My dwarf gourami also got bullied to death by my large gourami (gold,opaline,blue,and moonlight). I would get some bottom dwellers. Maybe 2 rams, or 5 kuhli loaches, or 5 striatia botia. Or even 5 skunk or pygmy cory cats.

Does any of the red eye tetras chase the guppies?
I want to keep at least 2 of them to breed, but im only on 16 gallon though. And I have 5 red eye tetras.

Back to the topic, it would look cool if you get a mate to your swordtaill and platy, you might dont want to keep the fries latter but its just an idea that came to my head.
Increasing a school of fish that you like, for example more xray tetras, neon tetras or rainbow fish, I personally love neon tetras. Or just increase by 2 all of them.

I would say Dwarf Gourami too, but my female swordtail bullied mine to death, and some of the red eye tetras helped, by chasing him sometimes.

All of my red eyed tetras are pretty mellow and keep to themselves. However, I do notice that my black male molly chases 2 of specific ones. My female swordtail is being pursued by a male guppy --- very strange.

All of my red eyed tetras are pretty mellow and keep to themselves. However, I do notice that my black male molly chases 2 of specific ones. My female swordtail is being pursued by a male guppy --- very strange.
Molly chasing 2 red eye tetras?
The guppy might just want to mate with her, as long as you dont see bulling around is fine. I tried to stop my swordtail to bully my dwarf gourami by putting her in one of my breeding box, she stayed there for about 3 days, when i let her out on Monday night, everything was fine, but on Tuesday night, he was dead, she was attacking him in the head, and there was a small hole.

Back
Top Bottom