Adding new fish, help?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kelsb56

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 20 gallon tank with 4 neon tetras already in it and am looking to add a bottom feeder along with some thing else but have no idea what to get. I originally had a male betta and 7 neon tetras but have been slowly killing them all off :facepalm:
I would also like advise on what I'm doing wrong with my live plants, they are dying too. (java ferns)
:thanks::thanks::thanks:

I have a 20 gallon tank with 4 neon tetras already in it and am looking to add a bottom feeder along with some thing else but have no idea what to get. I originally had a male betta and 7 neon tetras but have been slowly killing them all off :facepalm:
I would also like advise on what I'm doing wrong with my live plants, they are dying too. (java ferns)
:thanks::thanks::thanks:

Java Ferns are very hardy plants so your probably lacking something. I wouldn't add any fish until you find out why your Neons are dying. What are your water parameters? Are your Java Ferns attached to a porous rock or driftwood?

Hi and welcome to AA!

What are your water parameters like (ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates)? How long has the tank been set up? How much water do you change per week? Is the java fern planted in the substrate or tied to decor?

The java ferns are in planted in gravel (the rocks are about the size of a dime each). It's a 20 gallon aquarium with a Marineland bio wheel filter and has been up since about February. until recently (the past 6 weeks) the water wasn't getting changed that often (about once a month) so I'd end up emptying and refilling the tank. As a result of that several fish died. These 4 neon tetras have been in since the beginning and are still doing fine (even after the horrible neglect I've put them through), tough little things.
I don't know my water parameters, as I don't have a test kit at home but will try to get one or take my water in to the pet store to have it tested.
Right now I'm taking out about 5 gallons and replacing it every week. The java ferns are still dying, am I supposed to be adding something to the water for them? I've never had live aquatic plants before.

Back
Top Bottom