Adding new fish to my 29 heres what i want. How many?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Abbitha

Aquarium Advice Activist
K so tomorrow I'm rehoming my betta and 7 neons.

Mainly because I'm looking for something new. I was wanting some threadfin rainbows and celestial pearl danios. How many can fit into a 29 planted tank. What will be remaining in the tank when those fish have been removed is a honey sunset gourami (he goes no where! I love my gourami) it's a smaller gourami. They inky get to two inches so I'm not worried about him hurting the fish I'm interested in. And honeys are known for their more docile temperaments :) anyhoo, current stock

4 otocinclus fish
2 corydoras
And then my honey sunset gourami. (No telling me to rid him :p)

I want both those types of fish (celestial pearl danios and threadfin rainbows) so how many of each can I get? Do I have enough space?

I wouldn't put danios and threadfins together. Threadfins are slow feeders and danios are spaz fish that will chow everything before the threadfins get a nibble. JMHO. The gourami would be fine with them and unless your neons are fin nippers, I'd keep them too.

Celestial pearl danios are not like regular zebra danios though.. I thought they were very shy.
I think that stock sounds fine, you could probably do 6 threadfins and 8 CPDs. Also would be a good idea to add 4 more corys.
Double check with aquadvisor, but keep in mind it's only a computer program. It's also pretty conservative. I think if you're experienced, have a good water change schedule and good filtration it's fine to stock up to what it says is 120-130%

I stand corrected. I am recalling zebras when I think of danios.

I keep CPD's in a 55g nano tank and trust me in a 29g you will want at least 15 due to their size. Also while Threadfin rainbows will work with them (I have these in my 220g tank) Spotted Blue Eye's are a better size fit to use with them. You can also have a larger amount of Spotted BE's than Threadfins.

Be sure to get at least an equal number of male to female or even better more females than males of either Threadfins or SBE's.

Ahh I just like the look of the threadfins. Even the females I find pretty :) I like how both of these fish stay fairly small.

Why so many Cory cats for a 29? I've had these two for a couple years now. They seem kinda big to add 4 more! Lol
I'll check out the link and play around with it. I have a AC 70 filter. And I do a 40-50% water change every 7-10 days. Depending on work schedule.

Will have to take a look at the blue eyes. But Ive been pretty set in getting some threadfins lol and thought the celestials would go well with them. Anyone have experience with that combo?

I have been becoming very partial to killifish lately. Some have really nice colors and don't get very large.

A nice school of clown or lyretail killifish might work out for you.

So you don't advise threadfins? I was really wanting those in my densely planted aquarium. With the celestials.

I hope you get the threadfins. The displays are fantastic.

And more corydoras because they really like to be in bigger groups than two...

I think Rivercats meant that threadfins could work with CPDs, but she likes spotted blue eyes with them better because they are a little bigger.
Cory cats are very social and should always be kept in groups of 5-6 or more. But some species get bigger than others. What species do you have?

Oh well I'll just keep the two I already have the passed two years. They seem quite happy together. Even laid eggs a few times lol they are the emerald corydoras.

I'm definitely sticking with the threadfins and the celestials :). I was playing with that site and it said I could get 10 and 8 of them Feel as though that's a good number to start with. Since I have a densely planted tank where I struggle keeping nitrates high enough for them I could get away with a couple more. But I'll stick with that amount and instead of adding more of those I'll add another corydora after a few weeks but I definitely won't be getting 5 or 6. I just feel like that's so many for my tank. Especially if they all get the size that one of them is. Ones pretty small but the other is decent sized. Just wanna keep watch in parameters for awhile before seeing if I can add anything extra. But I'm not worried that they aren't happy. They seem very happy. :)

I think Rivercats meant that threadfins could work with CPDs, but she likes spotted blue eyes with them better because they are a little bigger.
Cory cats are very social and should always be kept in groups of 5-6 or more. But some species get bigger than others. What species do you have?

Threadfins are larger than Spotted BE's. But Threadfins should work with the CPD's but I would still get a larger group of CPD's as they tend to be less shy in larger groups especially when kept with larger fish and in a larger tank. My male Threadfins have gotten up to a good 2-1/2" as they age. After about a year my largest CPD's haven't even reached 3/4".

Thanks for the tip rivercat I'll get more CPD than threadfins in that case.

Back
Top Bottom