Adding new live rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

faerykisses

Aquarium Advice Regular
If I have a tank that has been running for about 4 months now and I want to add some more live rock, like a considerable amount...is there a special process.?

I was thinking of ordering some live rock online, however I'm not completely sure what to do with it once it arrives...

If its cured can I just rinse it and put it in tank...???

TIA :D

Sorry Sorry!!!! I posted in the wrong forum...why does it feel like Monday??? I don't know how to move topics....sorry again. Ugh!

You will have to cure it in a separate vessel BEFORE you put it in the tank. Remember, if you order it online some dieoff occurs during shipping even though it may have already been cured when they shipped it to you.

If you buy it at your LFS then you might be able to put it straight in your tank if it is already cured. However, it has been my experience that the LFS moves through a lot of LR during a weeks time and it really never gives the LR enough time to cure.

Just to be safe, I would put the rock in a separate container and cure it in any event.

Thanks!!! Should I cure for about a week or so? Or until amonia reads zero?

With aerator...and filter...what else do I need?

Just put a powerhead and heater in the container so you have good water movement and the water temperature doesn't dip.

Cure it till ammonia and nitrite is 0.

Back
Top Bottom