Adding new stock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rockyofhockey

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey all I have a 40 bowfront with a extra wide floor print for my stock. My stock follows

1x Albion bichir

1x African leaf fish

1x leopard pleco

My leaf fish has eaten numerous tetras already any ideas what else I can add? Thanks

-rockyofhockey _/_\_

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Besides tetras what else could work and will school?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I don't know of any schooling fish that would work in a tank this size with predators like this.

That said, I had a tank with bichirs and ctenopoma in it, and African butterfly fish did pretty well so long as you bought them at a decent size. They don't really school but could be kept in a small group. They jump and do need a tightly fitted lid, but will eat live crickets which is always fun to watch.

Only con is that these guys are strictly top-level fish and you will almost never see them anywhere else in the water column. But still, fascinating and unusual!

I don't know of any schooling fish that would work in a tank this size with predators like this.

That said, I had a tank with bichirs and ctenopoma in it, and African butterfly fish did pretty well so long as you bought them at a decent size. They don't really school but could be kept in a small group. They jump and do need a tightly fitted lid, but will eat live crickets which is always fun to watch.

Only con is that these guys are strictly top-level fish and you will almost never see them anywhere else in the water column. But still, fascinating and unusual!

Sounds pretty awesome might look into them!!!

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1421236225.355213.jpg this is my ctenopoma right now. As you can see he is a beast!

40 gallon
1x leopard ctenopoma
1x albino bichir
1x leopard pleco
With love plants in the tank

75 gallon native tank
5 pumpkin seed sunfish
1 red crayfish
1 spotted bass

Do your think it's possible if I ten this into an African only tank?

40 gallon
1x leopard ctenopoma
1x albino bichir
1x leopard pleco

75 gallon native tank
5 pumpkin seed sunfish
1 red crayfish
1 spotted bass

Do your think it's possible if I ten this into an African only tank?

40 gallon
1x leopard ctenopoma
1x albino bichir
1x leopard pleco

75 gallon native tank
5 pumpkin seed sunfish
1 red crayfish
1 spotted bass

Do you think it's possible for me to turn it into an African only tank?

40 gallon
1x leopard ctenopoma
1x albino bichir
1x leopard pleco

75 gallon native tank
5 pumpkin seed sunfish
1 red crayfish
1 spotted bass

Your ctenopoma is awesome. He's beautiful. As far as African-only, mine was strictly an African oddball tank, yea, haha. It was great. This was the stock list:

40 Gallon Breeder;
1x Week's bichir
1x Delhezi bichir
2x Ctenopoma acutirostre
3x African butterfly fish

With yours, I would stick to another Senegalus (albino or normal) or find a Delhezi if you can. The Week's really ended up too big for the tank, and I think he did eventually eat one of the butterfly fish. He had a huge mouth (I creatively named him Mouth). The Delhezis are awesome and stay about the same size as the Senegalus, and definitely seem more diurnal than the Week's ever was. There's another smaller bichir called Palmas which stays small as well, but I never had any luck finding it.

With the size your leaf fish is, I probably would leave him as a singleton. I think he would probably pick on a new inhabitant, mine were never very nice to each other but they grew up together and were the same size. Without the extra Ctenopoma, I would go ahead and add an extra butterfly fish, so your tank would be more like

1x senegalus bichir
1x delhezi, senegalus, or palmas bichir
1x African leaf fish
4x African butterfly fish

And that will leave you maxed out for stock in a tank that size. :)

Your ctenopoma is awesome. He's beautiful. As far as African-only, mine was strictly an African oddball tank, yea, haha. It was great. This was the stock list:

40 Gallon Breeder;

1x Week's bichir

1x Delhezi bichir

2x Ctenopoma acutirostre

3x African butterfly fish

With yours, I would stick to another Senegalus (albino or normal) or find a Delhezi if you can. The Week's really ended up too big for the tank, and I think he did eventually eat one of the butterfly fish. He had a huge mouth (I creatively named him Mouth). The Delhezis are awesome and stay about the same size as the Senegalus, and definitely seem more diurnal than the Week's ever was. There's another smaller bichir called Palmas which stays small as well, but I never had any luck finding it.

With the size your leaf fish is, I probably would leave him as a singleton. I think he would probably pick on a new inhabitant, mine were never very nice to each other but they grew up together and were the same size. Without the extra Ctenopoma, I would go ahead and add an extra butterfly fish, so your tank would be more like

1x senegalus bichir

1x delhezi, senegalus, or palmas bichir

1x African leaf fish

4x African butterfly fish

And that will leave you maxed out for stock in a tank that size. :)

Thanks bro!! That sounds like it would be an awesome tank. I forgot to mention I have a 55 gallon and 30 gallon aqua clear HOB as my filtration would that stick still be ok with that?

40 gallon
1x leopard ctenopoma
1x albino bichir
1x leopard pleco

75 gallon native tank
5 pumpkin seed sunfish
1 red crayfish
1 spotted bass

If you can add more filtration I would do so. I had a canister filter on these guys and was still doing weekly 40% water changes. I also like the canisters for the butterflies because you can have a tighter fitting lid. They are jumpers, so be aware of that. Otherwise I would replace the 30 gallon Aquaclear with something more like 70 or 110.

If you can add more filtration I would do so. I had a canister filter on these guys and was still doing weekly 40% water changes. I also like the canisters for the butterflies because you can have a tighter fitting lid. They are jumpers, so be aware of that. Otherwise I would replace the 30 gallon Aquaclear with something more like 70 or 110.

I tried a canister that my friend have me... It was a really good one a marineland c360 and it leaked everywhere. Water started gushing so I went back to the HOB. But made a slight adjustment I put plastic hanging where the water ours out it it directs the waterfall towards the glass so there is very little water disturbance

40 gallon
1x leopard ctenopoma
1x albino bichir
1x leopard pleco

75 gallon native tank
5 pumpkin seed sunfish
1 red crayfish
1 spotted bass

Back
Top Bottom