Adding Rams to Community Tank question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BadJack

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Been looking around there is alot of great information on this site. I have been looking at the Blue Rams either Bovarian or German, both look great.
Tanks has been setup for 9 months. Pretty heavy planted and some caves/rocks. Recently got rid of some Bueno Aires Tetras cause they were destroying my plants and I just couldn't take it anymore. P.H is around 7.2 Nitrates sit around 5-10ppm. temp stays at 80-81 during day and drops to 78-79 at night.
I have seen the method of 2-3 females to 1 male and that would be great, but was kinda stuck on either leave it at those 4, or go on and do 2 sets making 6 female and 2 males.
Or the other option is to do 3 females 1 male and add something else to the mix.
Just not sure which way to go, don't want to crowd the tank with possiblities of spawning and everything going crazy, but not sure what to get if i just do the 4 rams. Don't have to get anything, just miss the action of the Tetras swiming around i guess.
All suggestions welcome I do have Tiger barbs but are in a group of 9, they like to see the new fish as much as i do, but leave alone after they all get a look.

current tank setup
55g Planted
Swords, Anubius, Crupts, Java, Hair Grass
1 Blood Parrot
1 Blue Acara
9 Tiger Barbs
6 Peppered Cory
1 Rainbow Shark
2 Tiger Snails

Welcome to AA Jack! :)

In my opinion, you really don't have room to add if you consider your current fishes' adult sizes.

yeah your right im a tad overstocked. think last check aqadvisor showed me with adding the 4 rams at 132%. didn't add my filration to profile it is good for stocking. 70 aquaclear and a magnum 250.

There are a lot of things aqadvisor doesn't take into account and to rely on a percentage based on general equations can definitely prove false. Rams would starve in your tank if they survived. Not sure of the size / age of your fish, but eventually they will find an equilibrium based on behavior, not filtration.

:welcome: to AA! :)

It's not the filtration that's the problem, it's the adult size of the fish. The two cichlids you have could easily hit the 6 inch mark, the rainbow six inches as well. Not a lot of room to stretch.

I understand the filtration was just mentioning i had forgotten it. I had read about aqadvisor and checked it out also read its not always acurate. Just really used it as a kinda guide line to stocking really.
most fish in the tank were small when i got them blue acara, blood parrot and shark are about the same size around 5". Parrot and Acara have claimed opposite sides of tank and kinda stay in their little cove. coming out and trolling occasionally then going back in. Shark just roams and cleans the plants day and night. cory range from 1 to 2.5 and barbs are oldest in tank are about max size.

Thanks for the info though. Would hate to get those fish just to kill them. Was really just kinda looking for something to replace the Tetras. the blood parrot really wasn't on my list of things I wanted kinda took him over from a neighbor that was getting rid of their tank. He kinda threw everything off for me.

Question on starving them. I know the barbs parrots are pretty active eaters, and im guess the Rams aren't or rather assuming. If i wanted to stick with the Rams what would be your recommendation of reloacating?

All this started when my daughter wanted a tank in her room this weekend, and I had a extra 20 i was going to set up and put 2 convits in, but I could relocate something form the 55 to that instead.
There is also a Fish Swap coming up at the LFS i had been thinikng of taking the Parrot to it, but my kids kinda came attached to him.

I would get a pair of rams and put them in the 20g. Maybe throw a school of neon or cardinal tetras in also. You pretty much need a school of bold fish to help the rams feel safe.

Honestly, if you were to rehome either the acara or the BP I think you'd be fine with the 55.

Rams are just way too subdued to be in any tank with barbs or other greedy eaters IMO.

Thanks for the info. I might just do that with the 20. The 55 was my first tank really liked the barbs and how they acted so I started with them kinda built the tank around what would get along with them. I have been wanting to start a cichlid tank and was thinking re homing a few fish I have and going with the tank I hav e. Don't want to cause any stress . As the tank sits now everyone is happy and gets along. I couldnt part with the acara or barbs theywere my first choices in starting this tr ank. Barbs are fun to watch and the acara is a very peaceful and preety fish.

Guess ill just have to talk the missea into letting me get a bigger tank to play with

Back
Top Bottom