Adding rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SaltyReedAndRy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Is it best to add live rock to tank and if so are you supposed to soak it? Or my son was researching and thought about dry rock which I guess has been sitting out and less likely to have hitch hikers. Thanks

At the end of the day, when you cycle your tank all of the rock in it will become 'live'. It is more cost efficient to get either dry rock or macro/base rock. That way you can spend more money on other things for the tank. Since this is an expensive hobby, I think it is best to save where you can.

Technically, your suppose to quarantine live rock just as you would fish as it may have critters living in it. Many don't bother. I would start with a few pieces of live and then add mostly dry rock to save money. No need to soak, but you can rinse with salt water and use toothbrush to clean a bit.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Technically, your suppose to quarantine live rock just as you would fish as it may have critters living in it. Many don't bother. I would start with a few pieces of live and then add mostly dry rock to save money. No need to soak, but you can rinse with salt water and use toothbrush to clean a bit.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Thanks! I actually did soak it and let it dry out. Looks good. Bright purple

Back
Top Bottom