Adding salt...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

George9

Aquarium Advice Addict
What kind of salt do I add to my tank for a sick fish? How much salt do I add?And can I add salt to whole tank instead of isolating the gourami? There is only a gourami and a molly in the tank.

Could you give a bit more background information? What size is the tank, what is wrong with the gourami?
You should use aquarium salt that can be found at your LFS, pet shops, and even walmart. I do believe you may use non-iodized table salt in a pinch, but it is not the best option. I would say you should isolate the gourami in order to keep the molly from getting the sickness also.

Sorry, I said the wrong tank in the first post. The gourami recenty hit his head pretty hard on the tank glass and a big scale popped off. I think what he has is a reaction to hitting his head, I'm completely sure though. He is in a 40 gallon tank with two mollies, two tiger barbs. There is a bunch of live plants in also, I think salt will effect the plants. The gourami's bottom fin tip is getting brown and looks like a little piece of it is gone. Fin rot usually turns the fins white I think, and he eats and moves normally. Will salt help? Could I treat him with salt in the community tank? Of should I qt him? How long should I treat him?

Back
Top Bottom