Adding Sand to an Existing Gravel-bottom Aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jweiner

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have an existing 20 gallon aquarium with a gravel bottom. I would like to add sand to the bottom so my dwarf shrimp and pygmy corys will have a more suitable surface. Does anyone know a good way to get the sand to the bottom of the tank without disrupting the aquarium too much? Thanks in advance!

You could try a wide, shallow dish. Don't cover all of the gravel, but you could make something like a sand park.

If you just add the sand, it will work its way between the gravel and go beneath it.

Take a pair of empty, clean plastic 2L bottles and cut off the bottoms. Nest one into the other (not too far), invert and place in tank. It should be situated where the sand should be. Pour the washed sand into the top of the makeshift "funnel" and it should settle into the desired location.
This may take more than two bottles. If you have a gravel vacuum, this may work as well using the same principle and depending on the length of the vacuum's column.

Fresh2o - sorry for my stupidity, but when you say "nest one into the other," are you referring to the ends where the bottle caps would have gone? That is the only way I can picture it, but I'm confused since you say to "nest" them together (and the cap ends don't nest). If you mean that I should nest the wide parts of the bottles together, then the cap end really isn't like a funnel. Could you please clarify for me?

Don't apologize for the lack of clarity. Basically you insert the top (with the bottle cap removed) of one bottle into the bottom (that was cut out) of the second bottle. It's a funnel in another funnel.
If your tank was shallow (e.g. - 20g long) you could probably get away with only using one bottle.
Disclaimer: Mind you, I just had coffee and this idea popped into my head. Probably a mix of something I read about somewhere and some creativity.
While we're at it...you could try this: place the washed sand into an appropriately sized zip lock bag. Press the seal and close it. Take a knife or pair of scissors and make a small cut in one the corners (maybe 1"). Pinch the hole closed and lower the bag into the tank. Move the opening to the desired location at the bottom of the tank and release it. Sand should spill out of the hole. Apply as needed.
*I once had the make deviled eggs and I used a similar technique to add the fillings. Weird, huh?

Ah. Gotcha. Thanks. I had thought of using a large funnel with like a 1" diameter spout and attaching tubing to the spout. It would look like a beer bong. :) Now I have three options. I'll have to decide soon.

The ziploc bag idea reminds me of a cake decorating bag :)

I've decided to just go ahead and remove all the gravel and replace it with sand. Tonight is the night :)

Big job! Good luck!

By the way, when I switched from gravel to sand, I added sand on top of the gravel, waited two weeks, and then removed the gravel. It was probably the worst way I could have done it.

Back
Top Bottom