Adding snails to feed crayfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Antler

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 10g crayfish tank with a HOB filter. I have two procambarus clarkii 1.5" long in there with 6-7 places for them to hide away. They roam around and are never aggressive to each other. My sister added some snails to her tank and they bred and took over her tank. I was wondering if I could add some snails to help clean the tank, and if they bred could provide a food source for the crays as well? Id still feed them some bloodworms and shrimp pellets as needed. Any thoughts on this?

Also I'm thinking about getting a programmable LED light that has both day and night settings. Can anyone tell me a good day/lunar/off schedule for my crayfish?

I have a 10g crayfish tank with a HOB filter. I have two procambarus clarkii 1.5" long in there with 6-7 places for them to hide away. They roam around and are never aggressive to each other. My sister added some snails to her tank and they bred and took over her tank. I was wondering if I could add some snails to help clean the tank, and if they bred could provide a food source for the crays as well? Id still feed them some bloodworms and shrimp pellets as needed. Any thoughts on this?

Also I'm thinking about getting a programmable LED light that has both day and night settings. Can anyone tell me a good day/lunar/off schedule for my crayfish?

I had a dwarf cray that loved snails once. He couldnt kill them though. I would smash them against the glass and he would scurry over and eat. He also ate the "plugs" leftover when my assassin snail ate an mts.

Use the snails as food. Clarkii will get large enough to eat what ever you toss at them snail wise. Seeing that the crayfish are small I'd add enough for feed and food production. I can tell you the crayfish will grow much faster eating snail. You may even wish to raise snails in a 5gal bucket as a food source for the crays. One thing to keep in mind, when the Clarkii get bigger they eat the snails shell and all. Free calcuim.

Use the snails as food. Clarkii will get large enough to eat what ever you toss at them snail wise. Seeing that the crayfish are small I'd add enough for feed and food production. I can tell you the crayfish will grow much faster eating snail. You may even wish to raise snails in a 5gal bucket as a food source for the crays. One thing to keep in mind, when the Clarkii get bigger they eat the snails shell and all. Free calcuim.

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom