Adding soil to an estabished tank, advice needed!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nomadu571

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hey guys I'm just contemplating adding soil underneath my gravel in order to root the plants I have currently in, and grow them on more. I was wondering If anyone who has done this could give me some re-assurance or warn me off it, because I am worried that it may cause ammonia spikes and such which will take out my current fish.

I was thinking of removing everything to buckets, putting in either some organic miracle gro, or some sterilised top soil as a layer then gravel on top plant out, let it settle, add fish. (acclimitating etc). Would this be ok?

Like to add I'm looking at b&q aquatic soil, which is says it's good for pond and releases low nitrates and ammonia. My other question is, that as mine is a well established tank, and my filter is rated for 70gallons on a 20, with water changes would that be enough to deal with any ammonia spike?

Well I'm leaning toward fluorite by seachem instead of dirt as there is less risk and more nutrients. I'm going to do it in the same way, hoping to minimise clouding by washing first. As no one has helped me figure this out ill go with what info there is. Thanks for the huge amount of replies!

Yeah, sorry about that. Checked the thread earlier, but I just don't know much of anything about soils in planted tanks so I couldn't help :(.

Sorry I'm not very good with souls either but I do know when I added pool filter sand to my fish tank it clouded my water for a few days, even after I washed it. So I would expect some cloudiness regardless of what you add. I didn't remove my fish for this process and they seem fine and the cloudiness is gone as well.

Thanks guys, thought I'd get a few plant experts tho! Lol I really just wanna decide between dirt and fluorite, both have pro's and con's, so was hoping someone who has done both, and I know there's a load of people on here, would steer me in the right direction. As I'm not rushing I'll wait n c, keep my hook in the water see what it pulls out.

Thanks again!

Hey guys I'm just contemplating adding soil underneath my gravel in order to root the plants I have currently in, and grow them on more. I was wondering If anyone who has done this could give me some re-assurance or warn me off it, because I am worried that it may cause ammonia spikes and such which will take out my current fish.

I was thinking of removing everything to buckets, putting in either some organic miracle gro, or some sterilised top soil as a layer then gravel on top plant out, let it settle, add fish. (acclimitating etc). Would this be ok?

I don't know anything about that brand of soil. If you mineralize the soil before adding it to the tank you will run less risk of an ammonia spike since all of the organics will be broken down already.

I have never used any specialized aquarium soils but I have two dirt tanks. I used organic potting soil gravel and sand in my 70g and potting soil and sand in my 8g. They where not established tanks but I did add fish within 2 days of adding the dirt. I didn't mineralize my soil and did not get any ammonia spikes. I think I got lucky though. The tanks where heavily planted from the beginning with minimal bioloads.

Yep, MGOC will leech ammonia. If you mineralize it first, it'll definitely reduce the risk... plus it'll help prevent the dreaded algae blooms that happen almost every time you start with fresh dirt.

It will be moderately planted but is fully stocked. I can keep the fish in a container, but would prefer to put them back in the same day. It would only end up having a thin gravel cap too, would that be a problem? I'm leaning more towards dirt in order not to have to dose ferts, if that is the case? Fluorite I read you have to dose after a few months once the nutrients run out.

I have an internal uv, would that help with algae blooms if they were to occur?

No. It's not green water. It's hair algae, and probably every other kind imaginable too. I'm just getting over the worst of mine in my newest dirt tank.

mfdrookie516 said:
No. It's not green water. It's hair algae, and probably every other kind imaginable too. I'm just getting over the worst of mine in my newest dirt tank.

Ah I see, thankyou. I'm thinking then if I go dirt then to mineralise. Am I right in my research of thinking that is simply soaking and drying it to break it down?
It's a tough call, as the fluorite would mean only washing it then changing it over.

flourite would mean washing... and washing... and washing... and washing... and washing... and washing... and washing... and washing... and washing... and washing... and washing... and washing... and washing... and washing... and washing... and washing... and washing... and washing... and washing... and washing... and washing... and washing... and washing... and washing... and washing... well, you get the point. That stuff is NASTY. But, it does prove good results. It just never gets clean... ever.

I've never mineralized dirt before, but I do believe it's a process similar to that. I'm sure jetajockey can post his method, as I know he mineralizes his own.

Does anyone know if the aquatic soil releases the same amount of ammonia or if it is mineralised already, is it possible to keep/sell mineralised soil?

mfdrookie516 said:
flourite would mean washing... and washing... and washing... and washing... and washing... and washing... and washing... and washing... and washing... and washing... and washing... and washing... and washing... and washing... and washing... and washing... and washing... and washing... and washing... and washing... and washing... and washing... and washing... and washing... and washing... well, you get the point. That stuff is NASTY. But, it does prove good results. It just never gets clean... ever.

I've never mineralized dirt before, but I do believe it's a process similar to that. I'm sure jetajockey can post his method, as I know he mineralizes his own.

Lol yeah I've read that fluorite is cloudy stuff. That's why it's a tough one.

Well the thing about fluorite is that it's pretty much just fired clay, it has some ferts in it but you'll still need to enrich it. If you went that route you might as well do floramax or ecocomplete and drop some root tabs in it. If you want to make it really simple just use osmocote+ like root tabs.

jetajockey said:
Well the thing about fluorite is that it's pretty much just fired clay, it has some ferts in it but you'll still need to enrich it. If you went that route you might as well do floramax or ecocomplete and drop some root tabs in it. If you want to make it really simple just use osmocote+ like root tabs.

Well I'm a beginner to planted tanks, so what would be the best route? I wanted to stay cheap but cheap isn't always the best choice, as it can mean more headaches and work. So do u think Eco-complete and just add my old gravel on the top for colour (to shut the missus up). This would be the simplest, cleanest option? Then just get some osmacote root tabs.

That's the simplest route that I know of. Actually, if you wanted to make it even simpler, just stick some root tabs in your existing gravel. If your gravel bed is shallow though I would go ahead and add floramax or ecocomplete to it.

jetajockey said:
That's the simplest route that I know of. Actually, if you wanted to make it even simpler, just stick some root tabs in your existing gravel. If your gravel bed is shallow though I would go ahead and add floramax or ecocomplete to it.

Yeah it's too shallow and it's taken me soooo long to persuade the other half we need more substrate (guess who holds the purse strings!). Technically it was her tank but I've totally taken over the hobby, lol. The plants in there I've improved but they are only in small pots and I want to plant it out properly and complete its transformation into what I see as a proper aquarium. Being a degree qualified gardener I should be hosting a nice planted tank, I can't stand fake plants.

I'm going to the LFS tomorrow hopefully, they should have some Eco-complete in stock so I think to save the trauma I'll go for it. Get some root tabs and stay simple but effective. Thankyou for the info, very much appreciated and has confirmed that I should stay simple for now.

Back
Top Bottom