Adding water into fw tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tenochsun78

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi! Was at a friends visiting when they were doing a PWC when he refilled the water he did so directly from hose into tank untreated. When take was full he then treated water, his fish are mature and he said/look healthy. Just curious, what others think of this and how they add water into FW tank? He has barbs, a pleco, Cories and a tiger eel if it makes a difference.

When refilling a tank in this way, the dechlor should be added to the tank before the refill. Adding it after is almost pointless since most of the chlorine will have already reacted with organics in the water. Small changes don't need any dechlor at all.

It is always safer to use dechlorinator when using city water, regardless of the size of the change and even if just topping off evaporation. Most municipalities use chloramine, so the days of chlorine are effectively over. Treat all water with dechlor. Do so BEFORE water starts going into the tank.

I use RO/DI water for my FW, but that is only because I have a RO/DI unit for my SW Reef tanks. It doesn't really hurt anything to use it. When I didn't have the unit, I just used dechlorinator on the PWC water.

Do you use it for topping off or for water changes too? If used for water changes it must be reconstituted or only used along with tap water, to dilute it.

Fishguy2727 said:
Do you use it for topping off or for water changes too? If used for water changes it must be reconstituted or only used along with tap water, to dilute it.

Just top off. I usually have extra from the Saltwater PWCs. I use tap water w/ declorinator that I let sit for 24 hours for PWCs for my freshwater tanks.

Back
Top Bottom