Additional diet for algea blenny?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

marsh

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I looked at my tank today and the algae on my rocks is basically gone! My blenny goes all over and I am worried he may be out of food. My tank is only 2 1/2 months old. The green slime on my sand does not appeal to him but he scours my fuzzy rocks and seems to poop daily. Today he looks a bit gaunt in the belly.

This is what live aquaria had to say: "The Sailfin/Algae Blenny does best in well-established aquariums with large amounts of natural algae to feed on. The diet can be supplemented with vegetable matter, spirulina, and herbivore preparations."

I have flakes that my fish don't always finish before sinking called Formula One Flakes by Ocean Nutrition, but the ingredients are not herbivore based. I have been feeding as little as possible as I was seeing plenty of algae.

What would be ideal to feed a "lawn mower" an has anyone tried prepared foods with your own blenny?

I have a 2 year old lawnmower blenny. He eats anything pellets, flakes, frozen mysis, brine, and blender mush, he also will eat algae sheets. They like more that just algae. Try getting some algae sheets for him. May have to soak in a garlic additive or i use Zoa by Kent marine, enriches the food and can entice to eat.

I have a snowflake blenny..a kissin cousin..try "nori" its essentially dried algae in sheet for..and a feeding clip( hangs on glass or let go to bottom) mine loves it and recognizes the clip!lol ;)

Besides algae, algae blennies can be hit or miss. Mine eats blood worms, but that is all to suppliment his algae diet and I do that rarely. I was trying to save one of my friend's, as her tank was spotless and it was starving, and it wouldn't touch anything besides hair algae. When they eat mysis and other things they are normally trained or tank bred.

I have a 2 year old lawnmower blenny. He eats anything pellets, flakes, frozen mysis, brine, and blender mush, he also will eat algae sheets. They like more that just algae. Try getting some algae sheets for him. May have to soak in a garlic additive or i use Zoa by Kent marine, enriches the food and can entice to eat.

:thanks: Thanks a lot all 3 of you! I feel much better with a few options to try if he seems to get thinner. Today while I had the powerheads off to feed my other fish he started eating the diatoms on my back glass! I was relieved and realized the flow is strong in that area so he does have a bit more algae to consume at the moment. I will rearrange their positions so he can access the buffet.

I will definitely pick up Nori and algae sheets and a clip next trip to my lfs! good advice, I appreciate your replies :)

Back
Top Bottom